1999 GTX Crankshaft

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cartwright

Hoping to get some help on my 99 GTX with the 951.
I've had this ski for 2 seasons now, it ran good until a crank bearing let go recently .
Some history, after getting the ski the carbs were rebuilt and all fuel and oil line components were replaced, compression was 130 on both and the ski ran well, only issue is that there was a surge at cruising speed at around 5000 rpm when trying to maintain speed. Wot is was smooth.
The ski did have a exhaust manifold water leak, problem happened at higher rpm and motor would hesitate and then die. Leak was fixed and problem went away but I have no idea how long this leak may have been going on before I got the ski.

When the bearing let go the engine died instantly. The motor would start back up but sounded real bad. Towed it back to the launch.
Compression was about 90 psi on both cylinders, so I pulled the engine and tore it apart, turns out the pto cylinder is badly scored on the side opposite the exhaust and the crank rod bushing on the mag side had the slop in it.
The other thing I noticed was the crank and counterbalance weights were not opposed to each other as I thought they would be , the picture I took was not when the alignment marks were aligned . Mag side also seemed to have less oil on the crankshaft.

So I'm not sure why compression is low on both sides and why the counterbalance shaft seems out of alignment with the crank and any other comments
IMG_20211026_134857.jpegIMG_20211018_140307.jpegIMG_20211024_133959.jpegIMG_20211018_121747.jpeg

The alignment of the crank and balance shaft is about the marks being in the right place not how it looks. If they had been incorrect I think you would have noticed excessive vibration. Which crank bearing went bad? Can you identify which one because if it is on the end you could replace the bearings and crank seals. If you got a bad rod bearing she's done. You won't be happy when you price the 951 cranks. These people are going crazy.

Piston wear looks about par for the course. Need a carb rebuild and check your reed valves. Good Luck !!

The alignment of the crank and balance shaft is about the marks being in the right place not how it looks. If they had been incorrect I think you would have noticed excessive vibration. Which crank bearing went bad? Can you identify which one because if it is on the end you could replace the bearings and crank seals. If you got a bad rod bearing she's done. You won't be happy when you price the 951 cranks. These people are going crazy.

Piston wear looks about par for the course. Need a carb rebuild and check your reed valves. Good Luck !!
yes its the crank rod bearing that needs replacing so i'm looking at my options of finding a rebuilt one or having a local powersport machine shop rebuild it.

I've been waiting on WSM reman 951 carb cranks to come back in stock for a little over a year now. They said they still don't have an ETA. Other shops want $500-600 to rebuild it with Japanese bearings so that's probably the route I'll go this winter

These people are crazy.
Yea they used to cost half what they do today but I guess it's my only option. I don't have any money in this GTX so if it cost me $1200-1500 to fully restore it then I'll be happy and have a relaible cruiser for friends and family.

I just got my quote for rebuilding my crank and it was $600.00 so looks like I will go with that, they also quoted $250 to rebore the cylinders to .5mm over, I called around to compare pricing and was told the shop that quoted me $250 is most probably the only place aroung that will do a 2 stroke cylinder with ports in it.

What would be advantage/disadvantage of replacing the jugs and using a standard piston kit vs reboring .5mm over , price seems to be about the same

There are people out there that will give you a fair deal on boring cylinders. You gotta look for them.

SBT has a rebuilt 951 Carb crank for $399. If I needed a crank right now with new cranks at insane prices that's where I'd go.

I just installed a used crank from Irby's. $230 and I had it in a week. Saving $300 didn't break my heart at all. Just need a good honest supplier. Lots of options out there. Good Luck !!

I just got my quote for rebuilding my crank and it was $600.00 so looks like I will go with that, they also quoted $250 to rebore the cylinders to .5mm over, I called around to compare pricing and was told the shop that quoted me $250 is most probably the only place aroung that will do a 2 stroke cylinder with ports in it.

What would be advantage/disadvantage of replacing the jugs and using a standard piston kit vs reboring .5mm over , price seems to be about the same
You aren't going to find new cylinders and chances are that any "used" cylinders are going to need to be bored anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back