1999 GTX Battery drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevo22

I just purchased a 1999 GTX from an individual. We tested it on the trailer and ran fine with hose hooked up. Prior to purchase he had a new battery installed. Went for a ride and everything seemed fine. Shut the machine off and it would not start. I went and got a new battery. Took it to a friend and he cleared water out through the spark plug holes. Did it 15 times and got it. Went for a ride the next day, bam same thing but no water. Got a message 12v f..... (failure maybe?) Went and bought a new rectifier and I stalled. Put on a partially charged battery and it starTed 5-7 times on the trailer just fine. Went for a ride again (30 min) and got a red light on the dash with 12v f...... again and also saw h-temp also. I kept driving it a bit and then my daughter pulled the tether cord accidentally. Machine would not start again. Can anyone tell me if they have any idea what the issue is?

I just purchased a 1999 GTX from an individual. We tested it on the trailer and ran fine with hose hooked up. Prior to purchase he had a new battery installed. Went for a ride and everything seemed fine. Shut the machine off and it would not start. I went and got a new battery. Took it to a friend and he cleared water out through the spark plug holes. Did it 15 times and got it. Went for a ride the next day, bam same thing but no water. Got a message 12v f..... (failure maybe?) Went and bought a new rectifier and I stalled. Put on a partially charged battery and it starTed 5-7 times on the trailer just fine. Went for a ride again (30 min) and got a red light on the dash with 12v f...... again and also saw h-temp also. I kept driving it a bit and then my daughter pulled the tether cord accidentally. Machine would not start again. Can anyone tell me if they have any idea what the issue is?
Well, not to be glib....but the ski is old and probably needs some good TLC.

HOW did water get into the cylinders????? Was the hose running and the engine wasn't...that's bad. Engine on first, hose second, run/test, hose off, engine still running......3 or 4 minutes MAX....hose water DOES NOT cool the driveline components, so no sense burning seals, etc.....

PS: They always run (sometimes really well) on the trailer...that JUST tells you it will run.....the REAL TESTING is will it Start and RUN in the water......the water resistance fully loads the engine so that's when you know if it'll really run.

We need a bit MORE information to start you on the journey...

Is the ski entirely stock? Old grey fuel lines, original fuel selector switch, fuel filter & gasket, carb condition (have they ever been serviced/rebuilt with genuine Mikuni kits), could be a bad magneto, could be a bad rectifier, could have electric gremlins, etc....

MOST responders here LOVE their 2 stroke old machines and really know their stuff....but they are finicky skis too, so don't get discouraged.....the skis live a hard life and need the TLC to keep performing.....SOMEBODY has to do it, otherwise they will frustrate the hell out of you.....WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE and probably stranded more times than we would care to admit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back