1998 xp limited, HELPP!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

trixsta587

I have a 1998 xp limited and i just recently bought it. It was already broken when i bought it, and i want to fix it. The guy i bought it from said he was riding it one day and it just stalled all of a sudden. He said he tried starting it until the battery went dead. The engine is not seized because it turns over, and i don't think it is blown. help me please!:ack:

well i'm no expert on these engines but I know a little about engines in general, and if this happened on a car I would start by checking compression and spark. Good luck

XP

If you get the two beeps an normal, and your sure you have spark to the plugs, then I would start looking towards a fuel problem.

Does your ski have the original grey fuel lines on it still? If so that could be a part of your problem. Those grey line are notorious for getting gummed up over the years and clog the carbs. I replaced mine with regular 1/4 inch black fuel hose.

I would take a teaspoon full of mixed fuel and pour it in the spark plug holes, put your plugs back in and wires on, and see if it starts. If it does, i would take the carbs down and go thru them....

Good luck

yea.... premix in the holes and fire....it sounds like nothing major...just stalled.... i would rbuild the carbs and clean all filters... change o-ring in the front cup too... new fuel lines and selector valve... then pre mix in the carbs she'll fire right up!!!
all you need to run a motor is AIR, FIRE, and FUEL.... remember this and you'll get it fired.... and you know you already have air, and fire...where is the fuel???

yeah, i put a little premix in the carbs and it fired. i still have the grey lines and i was going to replace them shortly. The gas is 2 years old ha so i am going to drain it and pt new gas in. another thing, the fuel pump keeps turning on about every thirty seconds. i know it is supposed toonce when you first put the key in to pressurize the lines, but it is constanly doing it.

Also, try a fuel pressure test...its very simple. Under the front of your seat is an exposed nipple (no funny comments) Hook up your compressor to this, pinch off your fuel vent line (L side rear nipple-next to water ejection nipple), and pressurize the system. NO MORE than 5 psi (or 3 psi) one of those is the oil pressure check.
That should tell you if fuel is leaking somewhere before the carbs!

i put new gas in and it started right up and ran beautifully. My guess is that it flooded on the guy and he fouled a plug, so he gave up.
it stalls though when you pull it to full throttle. So i am going to clean the carbs, and maybe replace the jets.

Mark the oil tank to be sure it has not stopped from gel made by mixing the oils, use premix gas in 5gallon loads till you are sure the oil is drinking, once you know what oil is used stay with it, flushing out the gel can take a lot of ride time away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back