RESTO 1998 Speedster restore

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruskeyjdm

Always liked the 98 Speedsters, saw one come up on CL and decided to get back into a boat after selling the 97 Speedster.

Hull and original seats are in good shape, few small spots showing a tad wear. Engines run but PO deleted the oil pumps, trailer in good shape. Both pumps rebuilt and new wear rings
Will need a few things, front wind deflector is broken at mount

Only pic for now, will post updates when I fully inspect everything
4d7e3407602665bade55e4df85faff82.jpg

Nice project, I just restored the exact boat last winter and have a thread on here. Mine didn't start in as nice of condition though.

With as much fuel as these things burn it's going to get expensive running pre-mix for sure.

I also had a broken hood at the hinge but I was able to just drill 3 holes through the hood and latch then use some stainless hardware. It doesn't look too bad. After dumping thousands into mine I just didn't feel like spending another $135 on a hood, but you can still order them new.

Thanks Ankeneyou, I’ve looked through your thread multiple times.
Exactly my thoughts, I will order oil pumps, not keeping the premix
good idea on the SS hardware for the hood, I was going to ask if you had any hoods you could sell lol

It's a huge pain hooking up those pumps when they rest 2 inches from the tank. Next time I'm just hooking up several feet of oil line before installing the engines, then route the other end to the tank once they are installed. I don't know how many times I thought about cutting an access hatch through the back seats lol.

Unfortunately both my spare hoods were broken and painted red. I actually did like the red though, I'll have to lay them on the boat and take a pic when it comes out of winter storage. If you do go for new hoods, powersports for less has the best pricing for all OEM parts.

Parts starting to come in, ordered a amp and speakers, case of oil, 2 oil pumps, more buffing compound, 3 starter rebuild kits, and got 3 pipes welded (thanks @racerxxx)
PO had a shop install a used engine after it seems the engine overheated, going to pull to clean and paint

9a5580274aad7d51d2698566e39ef8f2.jpg
1ef0ac4fd6c48fe07172560bff9ed4a5.jpg

Looking good. Did you weld them yourself or take them somewhere? My local welders want about $90 a pipe for 4 plugs which I think is high. Just curious what others are paying.

Brother in law hooked me up for free, they were slow at work.
Last time I had them welded was $20 for 2 plugs

why do people welded their pipes?
Because that's a known weak spot on these pipes. For whatever reason, it always corrodes and leaks from those spots. If it's not leaking yet, it will eventually.

You guys aren't kidding about the fuel burn. I remember when my boat had the single 787. I would burn a tank (about 27gal) in a day. It was good for about 40mi or so, I think. I can only imagine what two of these suckers chug. I went to a supercharged 4tec and increased tank capacity to 32gal and my range is about 80-90mi now, though I haven't officially tested it.

I would love to take two of those spark ACE motors and drop it into a speedster. I love the simplicity of the 2-strokes, but I'm a 4 stroke convert now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back