1998 Seadoo Gsx Limited no start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey C

Last fall I bought a 1998 seadoo gsx limited that ran fine. I changed the battery and stored it for the winter and now it won't start. I charged the battery and bypassed the starter solenoid and it started cranking. I also checked all of the fuses both front and back and they're all good. When I press the start stop button the screen comes on but the engine won't start, no click noise, no cranking. I also am not hearing any beeping and I can't remeber if the beeper worked in fall, but either way the key made it run in fall. I'm out of ideas to try and any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a 98 xp 951 with a similar problem, the thing I found is that you need the correct amount of power for your starter solenoid to engage. If you have a load tester just use that and see if the battery can handle it. I believe you can also use a multi meter but it’s a little more complicated. Mine had a brand new battery but still can barely handle the power needed. I get maybe 20 seconds of cranking before my battery runs out of power to engage the solenoid. It’s all about how you battery does under load. If that doesn’t work, then try replacing the solenoid. In response to the beeper, I’m not super familiar with how it works, my beeper worked 6 months ago, but now that im finally ready to start the engine, it doesn’t sound at all. Maybe it broke in that time period? Not sure… but what I do know is the engine has spark and is turning over at least so you issue shouldn’t be the beeper that’s my next issue to fix though 😑 anyways try the battery testing and let me know what happens.

Hey everyone,

Wanted to give an update. Firstly, huge shout out to Nick at West Side Powersports. Super helpful and knowledgeable. The problem I was experiencing was a bad dess post. The way to test this is if you put the key on and don't touch the stop start button, and nothing lights up, your dess post is most likely bad. If you have another key, you can try that, it doesn't need to be from the same jetski. If the screen lights up when you put on the separate key on, the original key is just bad. If still nothing lights up, the dess post is bad. Hope this can help someone else in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back