1997 Speedster or 1997 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre Hashigute

Hi guys
My first post here
I would like to make a comparison of the fuel consumption of the Challenger 97 (single 787) and the Speedster 97 (twin 85hp).
Since I don’t use to run at WOT, (I usually plane the boat and pull the throttle to the minimum power to allow it to keep on plane), what would be the fuel burn of these boats in this case? (3/4 power)
I wonder if the fact that the Speedster have more power allows the engines to run at lower revs, thus perhaps the fuel consumption is not so greater than the single engine Challenger.
Would the difference of fuel consumption be a big matter between these two models?
Regards

So don't take this wrong it is sincere but if you are worried about fuel consumption these types of boats may not be what you are looking for. I havea 1997 Challenger 1800 two engines. I don't watch my fuel consumer but I do know it has a 30 gallon tank. And my 16 yo son thinks there is only one position for the throttle and that is as far as you can push it. That said I like the interior over the Speedster as it has more room. Using it all day at our lake usually exhausts one tank.

Agree with alkiseadoo on his pros and cons relating to the 97 challenger with twin 787’s...
The fuel consumption will obviously vary on any given day, but all things considered... its worth it!
Admittedly I don’t know all the specs on the challenger models, but I’m pretty sure that my 97 18’ challenger 1800 has a larger than a 30 gallon fuel tank...so it can get pricey before you even launch. Fill up at the marina a few times, and you’ll want to pull back on the throttles ... sometimes.

You were right I checked the stats it is a 40 gallon tank. So about 35 gallons a day.
But should you put a price on a good time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back