1997 Speedster cavitation issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1997 Speedster that I took out yesterday. After leaving the dock I slowly throttled up both engines. They both got to a certain RPM then broke loose and cavitated. I was going to put it back on the trailer but decided to bring it up on a plane slowly and was able to get it going. After that the boat was usable if I rolled the throttles on slowly. Once up on a plane you can do anything you want with the throttle. I've never been able to just go from idle to wide open but this was the first time I couldn't get it going. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_155555775_HDR.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 24
Your carbon seals are leaking. Heavy throttle sucks the boot back, and draws air in. Once there's some air... you stop going.

Your carbon seals are leaking. Heavy throttle sucks the boot back, and draws air in. Once there's some air... you stop going.

I'm having the same issues. But I'm new at having to style boat. What are the carbon seals and where would I find them?

You need to start your own post. Even though it may be the same issue... your project may go in a different direction that the original poster. But since it may benefit both of you..............

Attachments

• carbon seal 2.jpg
    carbon seal 2.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 46
  • carbon seal.jpg
    carbon seal.jpg
    743.3 KB · Views: 43
Never heard of this issue being the cause. Are you sure. Its not cracked stator veins on the pump causing the cavitation?

The mechanic that rebuilt the pumps said everything else looked good. I guess I'll find out Saturday when I put her in the water.

The thing is... everything can look fine... but if the rubber boot has lost it's spring... then it can get air past. It's a very common issue. And, the real issue is... as it looses tension, it gets hard. So people try to pull it back, and feel a lot of resistance... and think it's still ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back