1997 Seadoo GSI Bogs down

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shippy

I have a 1997 seadoo that i had snagged for a low price since it had sat for two years and slowly been trying to fix it. After getting it to start i have ran into 2 problems. The first problem is after about 30 seconds of idling fine it starts to idle poorly with a pretty bad vibration.

The second problem which im assuming may be causing the first problem is it doesnt seem to be getting enough fuel. I can trot along with about 1/4-1/2 throttle but when i go 3/4 or full the ski will get up and go for about 2-4 seconds then bogs down but it doesnt die. If i continue to hold the throttle after it boggs down it starts to go back and forth from getting up and go to bogging down over and over again. A reason i believe it is a fuel problem is because if i pull the choke slightly out i can get the ski to stay at full speed without any problem. I have taken the carb apart and replaced all the peices and parts inside and cleaned the carb itself with carb cleaner, and re adjusted the jets based on manufacture specs. I am aware of the grey fuel lines and i have replaced them but that is the only fuel system related parts i have replaced. The engine itself is good, with relatively good compression. I was curious if my guess on it being the fuel system would be right and what components I should start looking at first rather than just starting to take things apart.

One thing i have noticed is when i trailered the ski i took off the seat and ran it at full throttle and (correct me if im wrong as this is the first watercraft i have ever worked on) it looked almost as if it wasnt pulling much fuel out into the filter (see through). I observed when at full throttle quite alot of bubbling coming into the filter with the fuel. From what i saw aswell it didn't quite look like it was pulling in a substantial amount of fuel, or at least to me it didnt look like enough to maintain a relatively fast speed.

One last thing that may be irrelevant but the ski, mostly out of water, likes to blow alot of white smoke. I have taken the oil Injection cover off and the markings are lined up and i believe the throttle cable is tight enough.

First off stop running it.
THe fuel system is typically the problem on these older skis and you need to do all the steps and use the correct parts. OSD seadoo is a 1 stop shop for all the parts you need.

1. Clean the fuel strainer and replace the square o-ring as it will leak air like yours seems to be doing.
2. Replace the fuel selector (on/off).
3. Clean the carbs and rebuild with only Genuine Mikuni parts, don't use the new springs in the kits.
4. Replace the needle and seats.
5. Replace all gray fuel lines with standard 1/4" automotive fuel line.
6. Replace the small 3/32" oil lines from the oil pump to the intake manifold.
7. Replace the oil filter.
8. Make sure you are only using API-TC rated oil.

Ive already gone though the entire carb and replaced everything. I left the old spring because i did notice the new one didnt work.
Ive also already replaced all the grey fuel line and found when i did the carb was plugged with green goo.

When you refer to the needle and seat where is that located at?

Is the fuel strainer the almost filter looking long screw off cap that sits further up front?

Needle and seats are in the carb and is what the spring and spring arm holds closed. When it gets old it can leak fuel flooding the engine.

Yes the strainer is this
f12a37ccd96a9b0a2a8a95e295188b2f.jpg

I went thought that and the O ring seemed fine.
I do have another question though as it seems your setup is the same. I notice the oil tank has 2 fitting and was curious if something should be on this other end. I have bought this ski not running and have been replacing and fixing everything on it as my first ski. The fitting on the right is the only one that had a hose attached

Attachments

• 20180408_150326.jpg
    20180408_150326.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
No, that is a check valve to let air into the tank but not oil out. Your's is correct.

Something i noticed as i put everything back together (replaced Peacock, and any grey fuel lines i found) is that it doesn't seem like the oil it being pulled from any of the 3 lines. The line that returns from crank case doesnt move (oil sits about halfway up the line) and the lines that go into the crank case and oil injection dont seem to move either. I did notice the oil filter was turned around (arrow facing towards the tank).

Also after putting it back together, taking filters off and cleaning a replacing, it seems on my startup it starts hard and idles low about 1500, until i rev it a small bit and then sits at about a 2500 idle.

No oil circulates in the tank it is all gravity. THe only line that should not have any air is the one going into the oil pump. It has an air bleed screw on the pump.

Sounds like you might have an air leak. Did you use new carb base gaskets and all new genuine Mikuni parts in the carbs?

Yes, the carb was done prior to the work i had just done. After replacing all the parts it still bogged down at full throttle although not as bad, so i assumed it was the fuel peacock as it was one of the only parts i had not changed. Took it off and was gunked up by the grey lines so i replaced and checked the fuel filter to make sure nothing els was in there. Now it idles lower although i have yet to get it on the lake to see if the bogging down problem has been fixed. Is there also any way to make sure oil is flowing and working properly, I dont want to seize the engine up if it turns out it isnt taking oil as ive noticed it doesnt look like the tank ever moves from full.

Somthing i looked at on the manual refered to bending the arm in the carb itself. The one which moves the needle. Could this possible be the reason for my problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back