1997 Sea-Doo SPX - New Project and need some input

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanker

Starting my second project, I have a 1997 SPX that looks in great shape, I don't think they really used this ski.
Could not beat the price $143.00 for ski and trailer. so putting some money in is no issue.

I have already changed out the fuel line, fuel selector, fuel filer, oil filter. cleaned out both tanks.

Have to still re build the carbs.

Now with this being a fresh water boat everything thing is nice and clean, engine and all. I was contemplating
either re building this one, sending it in to get re done or getting a refurbished rebuilt engine?

I don't have an issue rebuilding this as there is not much to the engine, its more on the cost.
I have not looked into how much it would be to send my engine in to someone to rebuild it.

I have 150 psi on the mag side and 60 on the PTO side, so I know I have an issue there.
After pulling the head off you can see the issue.

1597425795734.png

This looks like the issue might have either started from the rave valve that lost a couple pieces or from the rings letting go and destroying the piston and head.

1597426069036.png

Piston is toast. the other question is did any parts go down? no matter what i think it will be a tear down
of the case.

1597426239309.png

Rave valve with the missing pieces.

1597426175916.png

Heads look really clean after i took some time, you can see the scoring on the one but should I get 2 new sleeves
or get them machined.

1597426435070.png
1597426548728.png

Probably lost a piston pin bearing, that damage isn't from the rave valve.

You should have those cylinders bored. You can't just install new sleeves without boring the new sleeves anyways.

Heads look really clean after i took some time, you can see the scoring on the one but should I get 2 new sleeves
or get them machined.

I'd go overbore, you could send the jugs out to someone and when they bore they'll tell you what size pistons to get or get them for you.

I went with resleeves on my two 787 builds and had them fit to the new pistons, but only because I found some NOS std bore WISECO pistons for a really good buy. I came out about the same cost wise as doing an overbore.

One thing to consider when you do an overbore vs. resleeve, don't forget to check the RAVE to piston wall clearance. I happens...my 97' GTX had a hole in one of the pistons when I got it because it had been overlooked.

Still working on taking the rest of the engine apart but it looks like I might be toast on the crank case. and some other parts, still cannot spin the crankshaft.

The groves are deep, not as bad as the case they are really deep.

Do you guys think its still worth re building this one or buy a rebuilt engine.

1597848814720.png

1597848908769.png

Last edited:
The cover could possibly be machined but the cases are trash.
Contact Nick or Jess at Westside Powersports Seadoo and see if they have some clean used ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back