1997 Sea-Doo GTI Restoration

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faust

I'm making this thread to keep track of my progress so I know how to put things back together. I have never owned or worked on a Sea-Doo or a 2 stroke.

I currently have 2 1997 GTI Sea-Doos. I bought the first one in Key Largo (further known as KLDoo) for $350. Here are the issues it has:
  1. The hull needs to be repaired on the foot well
  2. The steering and reverse do not move
  3. Missing DESS post
  4. The rest of the issues are cosmetic
I bought the second one in Tampa (further known as TDoo) for $700. Here are the issues it has:
  1. Hole in the top and bottom of the hull in front from hitting a tree (how do you even do that?!?)
  2. Won't start
I checked compression on both. The KLDoo has 150psi (excellent!) in both cylinders and the TDoo has 129psi (not terrible) in both. So I know which engine I'm using and thankfully the hull on KLDoo is also in better shape. I have to steal the hood from TDoo though, because the hood on KLDoo is unrepairable (for me anyway).

I have made some progress already and have the engine removed from KLDoo. I have pressure washed the hull and replaced the fuel lines (gray lines) with Briggs and Stratton fuel lines. I am going to replace the water lines next. I have already ordered a new steering and reverse cable, fuel selector switch (it was all gummed up from the gray fuel lines).

Replacing the fuel lines was a chore! I had no idea it would take as long as it did. Those crimp hose clamps from the factory are easy enough to take off if you can reach with both hands, but there were a couple of hoses that I couldn't and those were....frustrating to say the least.

I also ordered a new DESS post and OEM Key. Is there anyone on the forum that can program the MPEM with a new key?

I have the first 2 videos posted if anyone cares to take a look. It's more for me than anything else, but you may find them helpful.
1997 SeaDoo GTI Restoration Part 1
1997 SeaDoo GTI Restoration Part 2

Anyway, I'll keep posting here with updates and progress. I'll take some pictures as well. It has mostly been video so far.

Thanks for reading.

Faust

Last edited:
In case anyone needs this info: I found a company in South Florida that can program your MPEM on 2 stroke Sea-Doos. They are called Palm Beach Watercraft. It was hard to get in touch, but once I did, they were very forthcoming. The only hook is that you have to bring the whole PWC as they can only program it in the PWC.

Progress continued today. I had ordered replacement steering and reverse cables, but they aren't for my model. I didn't see this until I had them out of the seadoo. Ugh. Have to send those back and I ordered the correct ones after seeing what they look like.

I thought the steering cable was frozen, and it sure seems to be, but I still can't turn the handle bars. Lots of salt buildup:
20220828_135735.jpg
20220828_135741.jpg

I can't get the plastic off of the steering column. I have taken out every bolt. Anyone have a tip for me? I need to clean the metal of salt so I can use it again.

I did a few small things like replace the petcock, but those cables took so much time.

More updates to come.

I actually got the plastic pieces out of the housing. I then sprayed it down with wd40 to see if I can get the metal to twist in the housing. If I can get the housing off the steering column, then I can clean all of the salt off and it should be usable.

@Faust

Idk if you've dealt with the MPEM yet. There are people on this forum who can do that without you having to bring the ski in. Just have to pull it and send to them. I've dealt with these guys personally.

@Minnetonka4me

I have been spraying the housing with WD40 every day and it is still stuck. I looked on ebay just for giggles, and I found one pretty cheap. I thought they would be more expensive. I ordered it. Hopefully I can get that installed and then paint the bottom this weekend. While that's drying I can work on the trailer.

I have made some progress. I picked up a new steering housing. I just couldn't get the original one loose. For $35 on ebay, well worth it. I'm also almost ready to paint the bottom of the hull. Sanding and more sanding. I applied fairing compound 3 times and I'm hoping that will be all I need.

I also started painting the plastic around the handle bars. I have them primed after cleaning and applying adhesion promoter. I have to wait for the primer sealer to put the paint coat on, and that won't be here until Thursday.

All in all I'm happy so far, but it certainly takes time and elbow grease. Getting there though!

Here is the latest video in case anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Faust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back