1997 Gsx Rave Valve Help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

finley13atl

hi, i recently purchased a 1997 seadoo gsx with the 787 2 stroke motor. this is my first pwc, and first ever 2 stroke. i have been riding it alot without many issues. however, i’ve noticed that it only revs to about 62-6300rpm. also if i run it, shut it off, then start riding again it will bog down for a minute the first time i accelerate. then it will clear up. i decided to look at the rave valves, and one of them has a puddle of oil around it. i popped the cap off, and noticed that a small nut is loose on the top of the valve. it looks almost like a valve stem cap. it’s broken and will not tighten up at all. could that be causing the oil leak and bogging issue? if so, what steps should i take? thanks in advance!

Can you post a couple of pictures of the nut, it’s been awhile since I’ve looked at the rave valves but I believe it’s the nut beneath the black cap with the red dot that screws to the guillotine itself? Yes, raves can affect your high rpm’s. Check your bellows for any punctures and the black o rings in the guillotines. Pay special attention to instal the raves with them up. Up is stamped on the guillotines and it’s important they go back in this way. You can clean the guillotines by putting them in a container with ammonia over night and then just wipe them off. Or if your in a rush carb cleaner and a toothbrush and lots of elbow grease. There’s a small pinhole opening on the rave housing, make sure it’s clean as well.

thank you for the response. i’m not home at the moment, but i found a picture on the internet and i circled the same nut that broke. im going to find a replacement, but when i screw the new nut onto the guillotine is there a certain way that i need to do it? like does tightening/loosening it adjust anything? thank you ! 14FABBC4-1116-4D80-B8C8-339982C6A502.jpeg

I don’t see any pictures. If It’s the nut I’m thinking of no it’s not an adjustment just tighten it down I can take a picture of the nut that I think it is when I get home.

Sounds like the threaded portion of that “piston exhaust” is stripped. It should bottom out when tightened ( but not too tight cuz it’s plastic.) The leak is probably the o-ring or base gasket depending on where it’s coming from. I just rebuilt the RAVEs on my 951 and found that the previous owner left out a spring. I’m finding out there’s a lot of crap work that can be done on a used ski over a 25 year period. Good luck!

Is the nut turning independently of the “disc” it’s on? If so, it’s not only stripped, it’s broken. That is supposed to be a one piece molded part.

Attachments

• IMG_5885.jpeg
    IMG_5885.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1
okay, i will look online for a replacement. i wasn’t aware that it had a purpose other than keeping everything tight, i thought i could possibly just replace it with a hex nut. thank y’all for the help

Is the nut turning independently of the “disc” it’s on? If so, it’s not only stripped, it’s broken. That is supposed to be a one piece molded part.
yes. it is turning independently. i suppose i will need to buy a whole new “disc/cap”? i’m not exactly sure what it’s called

I've had a few plastic caps that the threads stripped out on. I think it's usually hot exhaust leaking past a bad o-ring or the rave housing/rave stem have worn. Rather than purchase new plastic caps, I'm currently doing an experiment. I cleaned up the inside where the threads are stripped, with grease cleaner, put in some plastic JB weld, threaded in an old rave and put it in a vice to set up. After it sets up the rave easily screws out and I installed the repaired cap on the ski. Only have about 3 hours on the ski since the repair, but so far I think it is holding. I'll have to open it up and check the next time at the lake next month.

Back