1997 Gsx question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman11377

I was just gifted a 1997 Gsx. What is the easy way to ID if it is the limited with the 951? I plan on getting it up and running either way, just curious what I might have. I have a bit of experience bringing these older ones back to life, I currently ride a 90 GT, and a 95 Spi. 787 or 951 it will be a hoot either way. Further digging while snapping pics shows that the engine was replaced at some point...20200817_101931.jpg20200817_101952.jpg20200817_102013.jpg20200817_102102.jpg20200817_102110.jpg

The 1997 Sea Doo GSX has the 787/800cc engine with 110hp. You can look at the right rear of the ski on the transom and the HIN(hull identification number) will be the last two numbers on the right of the black plastic plate.

This hull is very stable, can ride 2-up without being "tippy", 15 gallon tank, great handling in rough water, lots of parts available for a rebuild and very responsive to light to heavy engine modifications. Just know that the MPEM is a "one off". So I would buy one and keep as a spare, just in case. As they are becoming much more difficult to find.

I love my '96 GSX!

787 carbed, plenty of power and lots of fun, I have a 96' GSX 787. Mine was rough as hell when I got it and I ended doing a complete strip down and rebuild, I went from $200 to $2500 before I knew it. I'm second season and about 45 hours since the engine rebuild.

Great ski, keep us updated how it goes.

I recently got a 1996 GSX and the family loves it, lots of speed and not too tippy for constant 2-up riding. Totally worth the effort in my opinion!

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have seen everyone else's beautiful restorations, and while I think they look fantastic I lean more toward "how cheap can I get out on the water for..." This will be the third ski I have so as a project it is on the back burner. I still need to put a new wear ring in my 90 GT, and the 95 needs a new seat cover and new mats. Both of them also need a good cut and polish. It is just hard to pull them off the water since we have such a long riding season down here. I will try to keep everyone updated

Stock sponsons can be a bear to find. I have a 96 gsx and love it. Its the ski i take out with the wifes gtx(2000 millennium). I call hers the couch.
Once you get it done, you will love that ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back