1997 GSI conversion kit

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yellow with the small red stripe goes to relay and if I back probe in to it and can send power to it and make the relay crank the motor. That will pin 2 under the rectifier and pin 23 the yellow and bigger red stripe when hitting the start stop switch it sounds to ground no power. Back probe it and add power it will not try to crank

I put it all back together and try it and now I don't get any beeps. I can take the key from my gti and get one long beep

One long beep means it’s not the correct lanyard. Sounds like you correct lanyard might not be working.

Also clean up all those ground cables and connections.

Yea I kind of figured that on the lanyard. I took it and tried it on the front and it don't beep on it also. And I have also done that.

I am at home checking. It has 12.50 volts

All the wiring looks ok.. A little rust on that power wire on the left. Pull that plug on the left just below the relay and check the fuse inside there...Inside the ebox is pretty dirty so Id clean that up with a paint brush and clean up the grounds on the bottom of the ignition coil..

12.5 seems a bit low.. Ive read, anything under 12.7 causes issues..

Pin 2-24 (RE-PU) is the wire that comes from that fuse plug in the ebox, but Id check it anyways and confirm its a 15 amp

the other RE-PU on pin 1-26 wire goes to the VTS so that seems good.

Pin 2-2 and pin 2-23 are the in/out from the relay to the start switch... We're getting there...

THe beeps with the lanyard are kinda hit or miss.. I have times where I plug in and get nothing... _BUT_ my info gauge lights up and I can crank.. Does yours light up when you plug in the correct lanyard?

As @mikidymac said, the other lanyard shows the system is functioning by no allowing a diff lanyard to work..Id clean up the GSI lanyard with soap and water real good and try it again...

Im still leaning towards the relay being bad..Could also be the start switch...or low batt power.. All three are viable fixes in the troubleshooting tree.
If the relay is bad, it wont allow power to flow from the battery when the button is pushed..
If the switch is bad, it wont bridge the connection and actuate the relay...
If the batt is low, it wont do anything...

All the wiring looks ok.. A little rust on that power wire on the left. Pull that plug on the left just below the relay and check the fuse inside there...Inside the ebox is pretty dirty so Id clean that up with a paint brush and clean up the grounds on the bottom of the ignition coil..

12.5 seems a bit low.. Ive read, anything under 12.7 causes issues..

Pin 2-24 (RE-PU) is the wire that comes from that fuse plug in the ebox, but Id check it anyways and confirm its a 15 amp

the other RE-PU on pin 1-26 wire goes to the VTS so that seems good.

Pin 2-2 and pin 2-23 are the in/out from the relay to the start switch... We're getting there...

THe beeps with the lanyard are kinda hit or miss.. I have times where I plug in and get nothing... _BUT_ my info gauge lights up and I can crank.. Does yours light up when you plug in the correct lanyard?

As @mikidymac said, the other lanyard shows the system is functioning by no allowing a diff lanyard to work..Id clean up the GSI lanyard with soap and water real good and try it again...

Im still leaning towards the relay being bad..Could also be the start switch...or low batt power.. All three are viable fixes in the troubleshooting tree.
If the relay is bad, it wont allow power to flow from the battery when the button is pushed..
If the switch is bad, it wont bridge the connection and actuate the relay...
If the batt is low, it wont do anything...
Ok I will clean the cables and the fuse in ebox is good and dry and clean. I will put a different battery on it and try it. With the dess key the lights and gauges work but with out the key and hit the start button 5 times don't get any thing.

Ok I will clean the cables and the fuse in ebox is good and dry and clean. I will put a different battery on it and try it. With the dess key the lights and gauges work but with out the key and hit the start button 5 times don't get any thing.

New battery may help but still think its going to be the relay and/or start switch

12.5V on the battery is perfectly fine. Just make sure it doesn't drop below 12V when cranking.

If it cranks when jumping the solenoid, the battery, cables and starter are good. If it cranks when sending power to the solenoid, the solenoid, battery, starter and cables are good.

Yes if I jump the main post or even back probe the yellow and red wire at the relay it will crank over. Even if you back probe the yellow and red at the mpem it will crank over. But it will not crank over off the start button.

Well then the battery, starter, solenoid and cables are good like I said.

This leaves the Start/Stop switch, lanyard and DESS post and MPEM.

Ok update on the GSI. I swapped battery out with my gti and now have 12.8 volts and while jumping the starter relay it dropped to 12.7 volts and still won't start from switch also now it won't beep with the key. I can take the key from the gti and get one beep and hit the start switch and it beeps when you hit the start button ever time with the none programmed key. Take the key that came with the GSI and take it to the gti and no beeps. So I think key is bad

@TonyTerri
I'm hoping you haven't sent your mpem off yet... I was fiddling with my gs and came across a very similar issue to what you are having....
Everything works but nothing happens when you push the button...
Try running a jumper wire from the ignition ground to a bolt on the motor... the previous owner of my ski ran this wire but I had no idea why until I got to that point... disconnected, no start... connected, it cranks... worth a shot if you haven't sent off your mpem yet...

Ok thanks for the info. No I have not sent it off. I have to get a key for mine now. It won't even beep any more. Call Sea-Doo dealer and they said it sounds like key is bad. So I have to get a key programmed for it now and so I can keep on checking it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back