1997 Challenger won’t start when warm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MXstudios

Hi all,

So I posted previously about some issues I have with my recently acquired Challenger, and I resolved a few of them.The boat is running great, except for a little hiccup near 5,000 RPM. I replaced the inline fuel filter, and there in a can of Berryman, which seemed to help.

The main issue is that after using it for a while, and docking it, it won’t restart. Eventually after an hour or so, it starts right up. I replaced the plugs during the period when it wouldn’t start, and it made no difference. The fuel filter has some air in it, but from I’ve read, that’s normal.

Here’s the weird part. I got a digital compression tester on Amazon, and it is showing around 55 psi . This doesn’t seem to be possible, right? The engine runs great from what I can tell. No smoke, no issues once it’s started, and no problem running at WOT.

Could this be a real, correct value? And would that stop it from restarting when warm? There’s a slight leak in the exhaust water pressure valve, but other than that, I don’t see anything obvious.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Does your checker have a long hose on it? I had a cheap one that gave low readings and it was because the hose was absorbing the pressure pulse before it could open the one-way valve that was up at the gauge itself. No they won't run good at 55psi.

Since it runs great, until it gets hot and is shut down, should I assume the compression can’t possibly be 55?

Trying to understand why it won’t restart when hot. Engine flooded?

the engines on my boat also don't start very well when they are warm. i found they start better if i don't use the choke in this situation. also cracking the throttle open about a sixth of the way seems helpful too. mine is getting to the point where it is going to need carb rebuilds soon. that could be part of the problem.

Went down today and it wouldn’t start at all even cold. Was in the rain last night without cover, but not sure that has anything to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back