1997 Challenger 1800 - stops and doesn't want to restart

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

talon49

I have a 1997 Challenger 1800. I can start it run the boat for about 15 minutes. Then the boat stops and I can't restart it.

I can retry the same sequence the next day and the same thing happens.

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?

97 challenger 1800 starts, stops, then wont restart

I replaced the temperature sensors.

But it still acts like its overheating. The next day it will start right up and run for about 10 -15 minutes then shut down.

After which the lanyard (key) wont allow me to restart even with holding it down with one hand and pressing the start buttons with the other. When I wait about ten minutes then I can start it only with holding the lanyard down (it gives me the two beeps) I can start but it will only give me about 10 - 20 seconds of run time while still holding the lanyard down. Then it cuts out again.

I can do this a few more times then it wont allow me to start it again unless I wait.

Could the impeller be the problem? If so where should I start?

Ive had my boat for almost a year and have done alot of repairs. Prior to this boat, I spent very little time on them so Im not that knowledgable. But hopefully I can help you get started until someone else provides you better info.

My challenger also likes to shut off for no apparant reason. Im almost certain its that lanyard because its always diifficult for it to make a good connection, bbep and restart.

Ive looked for other posts here and the ones I found say to clean them. But mine was new. I diud clean it but did not improve. I ended up taking a pick tool and bending the metal tab in lanyard. It prob improved it prob 90%.

When I put my lanyard on the post it doesnt seat tight. Its like it pivots on it. Does yours also do that??

97 challenger starts then stops wont restart

Yah..I saw that too about the lanyard but I literally hold it on, pinching it and it wont start until about 10 minutes later acting like it is overheating. Then it will start and run for about 20 seconds with me still holding and pinching then it quits and I try it again and it only will stay running for 10 seconds then again less time until not at all and I just have to wait 10 minutes again then I start all over until I get it to my lift.

I wish these came with real keys so we don't even have to deal that aspect.

thank you though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back