1996 XP Stops Running After 1/2 Tank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghebert1111

I've got 2 1996 XPs and I'm trying to get at least one of them running right before the end of the season. So I fill up my one ski with gas and it starts and runs fine and then dies when I've burned about half a tank of gas. I've tried it several times, starting with it full and it will die after running it down to about half full. I fill it up again and it runs just fine. I'm assuming it's something to do with the baffle but don't know what the issue?

Thanks in Advance.
2nd ski issues coming in another post.

Last edited:
Maybe the baffle is broke or cracked somewhere at the mid point? Would cause it to suck air and it quits. First I've heard of this half tank issue, I'd pull the baffle and have a look.

Maybe the baffle is broke or cracked somewhere at the mid point? Would cause it to suck air and it quits. First I've heard of this half tank issue, I'd pull the baffle and have a look.
I'll have to report back this weekend, the ski is at the lake.

When it stops at half tank open gas cap and listen for a loud hiss. If it does and it cranks and runs, then your fuel vent is clogged and/or not working. If it is stopping at exactly the same level, then like was said, I would suspect an issue with the baffle.

That baffle has definitely done its share of sitting in old gas. Take the screen off of the bottom and inspect the internal tubes that run to the on and reserve nipples

That baffle has definitely done its share of sitting in old gas. Take the screen off of the bottom and inspect the internal tubes that run to the on and reserve nipples

Looks fine inside. I tried filling up the the internal tubes and they seem fine however I think I'm gonna get a rebuilt one. On the plus side I now know how the reserve tank works.

Is the fuel filter full? Try bypassing the petcock. You could also try rigging an external fuel tank, and run it straight to the carb.

Well, bigger things to worry about; the Mag-side compression dropped to 60. At least it's the end of summer. I'll have to deal with that and then worry about the baffle. Thanks for everyone's input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back