1996 XP Rectifier Wiring and Sound (Video attached) and Mysterious Spring Identification

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shattered00

Hello All,

I still have only the 95 XP running. The 96 was cranking fine and idling fine in the water but any quick amount of throttle would lead to a dead ski. I have been troubleshooting it and was on the last thing I knew to try which was to change the rectifier out. I will post a bogging thread at another time with all of the things I have done to address that issue, but now I am trying to figure out what I did wrong and also identify a random spring that I found in the hull on the right side of the gas tank.

1) Rectifier Issue - So my aftermarket rectifier had the wires which were not in the same order as the colored wires on the original rectifier but each had the same number of male/female yellow wires (2 male and 1 female). I plugged the two yellow male wires in not knowing which wire was supposed to go to what since the wire order on the rectifiers was different. Now I get a 2-beep when putting the DESS key on the post, but the beep is VERY faint, so I either did something wrong with the rectifier or connected the mpem box wiring wrong? Before I take it all apart again, does anyone know if the rectifier controls the volume of the beep or is there an entirely different problem now?

Old rectifier: Original Rectifier.jpg

New Rectifier: New Rectifier.jpg
TLDR: beep from putting key on post is very quiet now - does the rectifier control that?

2) I found the below spring in the hull on the right side of the gas tank. I do not know what it goes to but I imagine it is very important. I have gone through the parts list but can't find it. I put the whistle in the pic to hopefully help with size perception of the spring.
IMG_20190613_221249.jpg

Thank you as always.

1. The rectifier doesn't do anything with the beeper. THe yellow wires don't matter what order they go in as long as you have yellow to yellow. If you are questioning the rectifier, then just leave the red wire unplugged. I am pretty sure the rectifier is grounded through it's housing so if you don't bolt it down it will not be grounded.

2. That spring doesn't go to the ski, never seen one like that on a Seadoo.

Thank you for the reply. The beep is back to normal (maybe my battery connection was not tight enough?).

Anyway, now the ski is making an odd starting sound. Could this be a faulty new rectifier or something I have wired wrong most likely?

That sounds like a weak battery to me... I just had one the week before last that made that exact sound when trying to start it with a brand new battery that was defective and wouldn’t take a charge...

Thanks Jeremy, that was it. With the spare battery it tried to crank. Still wouldn't start, but definitely normal sound while trying to crank.

I’m glad that was it. For your bogging/dying issue, it sounds like a carb or fuel problem to me. You may have already done some or all of this, but I’ll lay out the steps anyway and you can just let us know where you’re at.

1. If it has old fuel in it, it needs to be drained and replaced.

2. Any grey fuel lines need to be changed out for black automotive type fuel line. You can leave the vent lines if you want, but any others need to be gone.

3. Go ahead and replace the fuel selector switch, as they tend to get plugged or be a source for air leaks.

4. Clean the filter on the water separator and check/replace the oring if needed.

5. Rebuild the carbs using genuine Mikuni carb kits and new needles and seats. Follow the carb rebuild sticky, and be sure to use the old spring for the needle lever arm. Set the adjustment screws to OEM settings.

This should get you up and running, and will rule out any fuel system problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back