1996 XP 787 Carb Adjustments Before Break In?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seadoosam

Purchased a 96 XP that ended up needing a whole engine swap (rotary valve and top end blown unsurprisingly due to the purchase price) Bought an engine that has a new WSM top end (the whole kit). It’s in now. I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and did the fuel lines and I am in the process of breaking it in but I know it is not right. I feel I should adjust the carbs before break in because it is most certainly not hitting WOT. No tach but sounds to be 6k rpm. No cavitation for anything. I know it should have more power. Goes 44 GPS. Haven’t held it open for too long as I’m breaking it in still.
Think it’s likely this is a carb problem?? It also bogs a bit and almost wants to stall if I am idling for a while and tries to stall when cold unless you give it some throttle.
proper break in procedure is being followed with the right premix.Idles Great though and doesn’t start to hard. I read the whole carb adjustment post but idk where to start there’s so much info there

Well if you are breaking it in correctly you should not be going WOT.
Something is still wrong with your carbs and you risk ruining your new engine.
Did you use all genuine mikuni parts and follow the Carb Sticky exactly?

I had to change plugs during the break in procedure. I think the extra oil they add in the Counterbalance shaft cavity during assembly, combined with the premix in the tank, and the oil injection lead to the fouling of the plugs. Mine was sluggish and shitty until I popped new plugs in.

Might be worth looking at, along with the carbs like mentioned above

Ended up being the rave valves weren’t in properly. Sounding much better and has much more power now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back