1996 Spi 587 restore while riding.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike R

Good afternoon, I was posting each issue I had on 2 stroke forum, but found this restore forum and thought it would be more appropriate here since I am a newbie to skis and want to make this ski right. bought 2 skis end of last summer,96 sea doo Spi and a 98 Kawasaki 750stx, sea doo was not running well, would not idle, was basically thrown in with the other ski, joined this forum and got to work on it with help/advice from members, pulled carb, had rebuilt with mikuni kit, was told previous owner used aftermarket kit, replaced all grey fuel supply lines, new fuel filter and new fuel selector switch, installed carb and it fired right up, ran great, winterized for the winter, fired right up a few weeks ago, but had issues with cold starting, replaced plugs, took it out on river yesterday, ran it good for over an hour, stopped home at lunch expecting cold start issue, pulled choke, it tried to fire, but didn’t, put choke in, it fired right up, no choke!
ok, so all seems well now with engine,
next I would like to address the inoperable fuel gauge and check/replace oil in jet pump, carbon seal, and I believe I read there is a grease fitting on pto? And check wear ring and prop.
again, skis and watercraft are all new to me, but I consider myself a decent home mechanic with my cars, what would be the first steps in restoring the “driveline” to new?
thank you in advance, Mike

The only time you need to use the choke is first thing in the morning when it is cold. After that you shouldn't need the choke for the entire rest of the day.

Driveline would be pull the drive shaft and inspect the splines, rubber bumpers, carbon seal, inspect impeller and wear ring and change the pump oil.

For the fuel gauge, try disconnecting the sending unit at the tank, the gauge should show empty. Next try connecting the two pins in the connector going from the sending unit to the gauge using a jumper wire or clip-lead, the gauge should show full. If not there is a problem with the gauge or the wiring to it. Otherwise the problem is the sending unit. Check the gauge is getting power. I am about to install an aftermarket automotove sending unit in mine and will make a post.

Just updating on today’s findings, seems I have some play in pto where carbon ring is, i can move it slightly, but no water coming in that I know of.
I was going to tackle jet pump, wear ring and carbon seal after summer, but I guess I should do it sooner? What kits are recommended?
also got a hold of a good compression tester, and have 148 and 149 psi.

If carbon seal is not leaking replace it at end of season, if it still has good acceleration don't worry about the wear ring or impeller right now either. I would change the oil in the pump if you don't know how long it has been since the last time. And sometimes it is just the float in the fuel baffle and not the F1 fuse so that is a easy fix.

For the fuel gauge, try disconnecting the sending unit at the tank, the gauge should show empty. Next try connecting the two pins in the connector going from the sending unit to the gauge using a jumper wire or clip-lead, the gauge should show full. If not there is a problem with the gauge or the wiring to it. Otherwise the problem is the sending unit. Check the gauge is getting power. I am about to install an aftermarket automotove sending unit in mine and will make a post.
I’m not getting any movement when connecting the two pins from plug coming from gauge, does ski need to be running?

I’m not getting any movement when connecting the two pins from plug coming from gauge, does ski need to be running?
Ski needs to be on, but not running. Dess plug in and tap the start button. You should get a fuel reading.

I paid a guy on ebay who rebuilds the fuel sender to do mine. Was like $35 and works great now.

Ski needs to be on, but not running. Dess plug in and tap the start button. You should get a fuel reading.

I paid a guy on ebay who rebuilds the fuel sender to do mine. Was like $35 and works great now.
thanks, I did bump it yesterday, with plug wires off, and grounded, gauge didn’t move. I’ll remove the sending unit today to see if it’s good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back