1996 Speedster won't accelerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hello All.... I'm helping a guy out with this new to him Speedster. Both engines start and idle fine, when you try to accelerate the miss and will not rev. Compression is a bit north of 135psi on all cylinders. I pulled the carbs off the port engine found a couple of issues. Pop-off is at 46psi. I noticed fuel dripping into the barrel from the main jet area on both sets of carbs. That's whyI pulled the carbs. They were recently rebuilt. Installed the carbs and no change. I did a spark check and it looks like the PTO cylinder is getting intermittent spark when you try to reve the engine. I checked the Starboard engine and it does the same thing. I've never worked on one of these so be gentle. :) I say the issue is definitely spark.

Just a note, only ran the engines a few seconds and the water hose was not connected.

Last edited:
Put it in the water and drive it like you stole it. The engines run different in the water then on the trailer. Mikunis are weird compared to every other marine carb ive rebuilt

Responses are very much appreciated. Funny how we think so much alike... LOL. I downloaded a repair manual and it says RPM limited in neutral. :) The owner gave it a try and the engines revved up. So we're checking carbs and such making sure the boat is ready for the water. I have not messed with the boats and I really don't care to.. Sure hurt my ribs leaning over the railing. Two engines are not as fun as one to work on for sure. :)

Last edited:
I did not know the speedster had a rev limiter. On the single engine sportster (95), the rev limiter is mechanical. You cant push the throttle forward by more than about 20% in nuetral. Anyway, there is a troubleshooting guide for the speedster. It says to check rpm limitation function, run the engine with shifter in forward or reverse. It should run up to 7000 rpm (+100, -50). Otherwise the rev limiter is defective and the only solution is to replace the mpem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back