1996 Speedster warm restart hesitation issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmonheim94

Hi All,

I've got a 1996 Speedster with a suspected fueling issue that I cannot figure out.

After a warm restart on the port engine, the first time you throttle between ~10%-30% it will hesitate for about a second before accelerating further. Sometimes it will die if you continue to give it more throttle. It ONLY does this on the first acceleration following a restart, once it has happened once, it does not ever occur again until the engine has been restarted. Other than this issue, it runs very well at all speeds/loads. I rebuilt the carbs over the winter using the "Back to OEM" kits from OSD. I cleaned them very well, and have pulled them off since I noticed this issue and confirmed that all passages are clean/clear. As far as I know, this problem did not occur at the end of last season right after I purchased the boat but before I touched the carbs. Some other notes below...

• Compression is ~135-140 psi
  • Starboard engine does not seem to have the problem
  • Tried new spark plugs right before a warm restart to confirm it's not fouling plugs
  • Tried disabling charging system
  • Popoff confirmed 55psi on both carbs, fuel pumps tested by mouth
  • All new fuel lines, cleaned selector, water separator, pickup, etc
  • Pulling the choke seems to help some when issue occurs
  • Going straight to WOT after warm restart generally does fine
  • Tried low speed needles in/out up to a turn without any real improvement
  • Port engine does have slight leak into RV cavity, but the only symptom is excessive smoking after startup after sitting a few days
  • I know I've tried other things that I can't remember right now...

My best guess/theory right now is that for some reason the fuel pump is not pressurizing very well, but once you get it pumping at higher engine speeds, it holds fuel pressure and the problem goes away. I'm thinking that lowering pop off might help, but I shouldn't need to do that on a stock engine. I'm pretty stumped at this point and open to any suggestions/ideas. Thanks!

Sounds like your bypass holes are plugged int he carb. I suggest carb rebuilding with only Genuine Mikuni parts. OSD Seadoo has a really good "Back to stock" carb kit with everything you need.

Also "cleaning" the fuel selectors typically doesn't work as the just start sucking air into the system.

Sounds like your bypass holes are plugged int he carb. I suggest carb rebuilding with only Genuine Mikuni parts. OSD Seadoo has a really good "Back to stock" carb kit with everything you need.

Also "cleaning" the fuel selectors typically doesn't work as the just start sucking air into the system.

It sounds like he used the Back to OEM kits from OSD. Is the popoff spec supposed to be that high on that boat? That seems really high...

It sounds like he used the Back to OEM kits from OSD. Is the popoff spec supposed to be that high on that boat? That seems really high...

Pop off spec is 40-56 psi I believe, so I'm at the upper limit using all new parts from the OSD kit.

I would not be surprised if the fuel selectors are leaking air, I'm planning to run a line straight from the RES pickup to the carb inlet and see if the issue persists.

Pop off spec is 40-56 psi I believe, so I'm at the upper limit using all new parts from the OSD kit.

I would not be surprised if the fuel selectors are leaking air, I'm planning to run a line straight from the RES pickup to the carb inlet and see if the issue persists.

Not a bad idea, as the fuel selectors are a much bigger pain to get to on the Speedsters than they are on the skis. I’ve even thought about relocating mine to inside the hatch the next time I have to work on them.

Something I found on mine that you may or may not run into is rusted/corroded screws holding the throttle quadrant into the hull. I’d use an impact screwdriver on those to be sure you don’t strip them out. I had to drill mine out the last time I got in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back