1996 SeaDoo XP Starter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterboy19

Hey all, question for you experts. My starter went out on my 1996 Seadoo XP. Last night I was searching ebay/Amazon for my model and starter. I was all set to purchase what was recommended for my model/year Denso 228000-4560 (OEM278001-301) 9 tooth sprocket. I didn't purchase just yet. Today I pulled my old starter that was replaced by a PWC shop 6+ years ago. It is a different model. It is a Denso 228000-6240 and only has 8 teeth. As I searched that number my model does not list as compatible (GTI,GTX,GSX). However like I said it has been in my machine for over 6 years without issue. So now I am perplexed. Do I buy what multiple stores recommend (9 tooth) or stick with my 8 tooth which I know fits and works. Suggestions? Much appreciated. Thanks

You want the 8 tooth. When the 787 first came out seadoo used 9 tooth starters and they burnt out quickly. They then switched to the 8 tooth to give the starter more torque and solve the problem. Both will work but the 8 is better.

Do not buy an aftermarket starter whatever you do.

Thank you. Great Info. Much appreciated. The starter I just pulled out was a Denso 228000-6240 and lasted over 6 years. Granted in Michigan we only get about 3 months of summer use. Isn't everything is pretty much aftermarket now - 20 years later. I actually called a local SeaDoo dealership today inquiring about a starter trying to "fish" my way to an answer on the teeth and the parts guy said OEM wasn't even available? He offered an Arrowhead brand for $85.

What would you recommend?

I would rebuild the OEM starter before buying aftermarket. You can pick up the kits from Amazon and they’re less than $25.00...

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. I just watched a couple of starter rebuild videos and ordered the rebuild Kit. $17.60 and it will be here in 2 days! I didn't realize that my Denso starter is an OEM starter. Thanks for heads up.

Just got Caltrix rebuild kits for starters. Bent up the clip to get the rotor from the case. Now trying to remove the bearing from the rotor, anyone have any ideas on this? Also, anyone able to remove that clip without destroying it? I have a second starter to doo after this first one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back