1996 Seadoo SPX won't start after shutting down, HELP!!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 96 SPX. Got it out on the water for the first run of the season last weekend, ran fine off the trailer. wife rode it for about an hour and the ski started dying at full throttle. I noticed the ski still had the original grey fuel lines. I replaced all fuel lines, rebuilt carbs and cleaned main fuel filter. Both carbs were pretty dirty and the fuel filters were plugged. Green goo everywhere. I went ahead and replaced the fuel selector valve and the fuel float. Everything went pretty smooth until I tried to start the ski. Nothing happened, absolutely nothing. The info gauge lights up, fuel gauge now works, trim works but nothing from starter. I was able to get a little flutter from the starter at one point while holding starter switch. I checked battery voltage, 12.6 volts. Checked any connectors I was working around, everything tight and terminals clean. Took the negative off battery traced it back and took off engine, engine side not that great looking so I'm going to put on a new cable. Any other info on possibilities for repair are much appreciated. Trying to get this ski running before this weekend so my wife doesn't kill me.

You need to see what kinda volts you have to the starter when you push the start button...check that then let me know

I checked last night to make sure engine was not locked up. Took PTO cover off and spun by hand. Engine still has good compression by feel. Any other thoughts?

Test the start button with an ohm meter. Also, test your starter relay.

Chester

Okay, the fun continues. Put on new ground wire last night, cleaned grounding point on engine. Has 12.67v at terminals and 0 ohms resistance through ground. Tried starting, still nothing. The info gauge lights up, but nothing from starter solenoid or starter. Tested starter switch, has variation in ohm when pushing button, That tests good. Jumped the solenoid and starter turns engine. Replaced starter solenoid. Hit the start button and still get nothing. So I am down to the kill switch and the mpem. All fuses in grey box are there and not blown. I ordered a new kill switch this morning-identical to the installed switch. Am I missing something here? This is nuts!!!!!

Did you attempt to jump start the battery? I read this can damage the mpem. Also I know on my gtx that id the battery is not fully charged it won't start. It won't even get the two beeps unless it has like 12.8v. Charge your battery or get a new one with higher volts than 12.67

The battery is fully charged and checked out good on a bench/load tester. I have not tried jumping it. I'm at my wits end with this turd. The kill switch will be here this afternoon. I'll get that installed tomorrow. After that I'll be looking into a new MPEM. that's the last piece to the puzzle.

Thank you everyone for the help in getting me in the right direction. I ended up replacing the MPEM, tethered kill switch, starter solenoid and ground for the battery. It now starts and runs. Cranks faster than it ever has since we've owned the ski. The MPEM and kill switch were my last ditch efforts and one of them did the trick. I don't know which one because I got pissed off when installing the MPEM and said to myself, "screw it, I'm already in here so the switch is going in too!!!!"

good to hear... now go ride!
That is always the plan, however while getting it running found tuned pipe water leak-that's now welded/fixed, 2 bad motor mounts-replacing this week and a bad wear ring-fixed this past weekend. It's going to be like a brand new ski soon!!!

What is with boys and their toys.....can't leave them well enough alone....in the words of the immortal Tim Allen...grunt grunt "more power".... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back