1996 Seadoo GTX Dying on water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
New buzzer came in yesterday. Temp wired it in quick, pressed start/stop button and no beeps.

I checked and the mpem is getting 12v. Starting to look more like that is the culprit.

Did you do the MPEM test procedure? Take readings on all the wires after removal? What about that pesky little Holder relay. How does the stator connector look and the ground associated with it?

Did you do the MPEM test procedure? Take readings on all the wires after removal? What about that pesky little Holder relay. How does the stator connector look and the ground associated with it?
The MPEM testing next on the list. Just found the table that shows what everything should ohm out to. I did not think about the relay, I'll check that, as well. Stator is also on the list.

While it seems like the mpem is having issues, I do want to make sure that there aren't issues elsewhere that are causing this or that would cause a new mpem to blow.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Well, pulled mpem out and ohmed it out. No good. Numerous bad connections reading 0 or way out of spec. Stator measures .8 on all three legs, so that's good.

Looking at mpem options. Thinking aftermarket due to price.

The aftermarket ones are junk more times than not

Contact Nick or Jess at Westside Powersports for a good tested and guaranteed oem one.

Done. Waiting on details.

What else should I check in the meantime to make sure there is nothing else broken that could fry new mpem?

My thinking is that not much else could go wrong that would fry the MPEM as long as the battery is good and the connections are sound.

Thank you to everyone for your help!

Last edited:
Take Miki's advice on MPEM, and wasn't sure if you have am OEM manual, it's a must have. Coat your box seals with synthetic grease or dielectric (silicone grease but more $). I have original MPEM, coil, starter solenoid (needed a rap with pair of channel locks 16 years ago) and was sunk under a 80 ton boat for 4 hours so OEM stuff is pretty tough. Just got back from Havasu and my XP is still faster than my FX 1800 and way faster accelerating on smooth water.

Oh yeah, most people by an AGM battery and they're not vented, run your rear pisser through the battery vent hose and you can see it pissing from under rub rail while riding, who really checks the rear pisser when riding often enough (if ever) to catch a cooling issue that could cause problems.

Thank you. I reached out to Nick and Jess via email. Got a quick initial response, but they must be busy as haven't heard anything else. I'll probably have to make some time (swamped at work) to give them a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back