Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadySax

Hey everyone I picked up a 1996 seadoo gti, I rebuilt the jet pump, changed plugs, battery, all of the regular maintenance so that I knew when it was done. The ski was running great until about a week ago I was on the water and it was loosing power. I figured the only thing left I didn’t do was rebuild the carburetors so I ordered the rebuild kits and completely rebuilt both carbs. I just finished getting it back together and I fired it up, it idles good but the second I give it throttle it Boggs down. I tried feathering the throttle to get it revved up and it still just bogged down. While rebuilding I checked all fuel and oil lines, oil pump, and everything else there and everything was good. Debating just selling the ski because I don’t have a ton of time to mess around with it but I figured I would come on here first to see if anyone has any ideas, thank you!

Hey everyone I picked up a 1996 seadoo gti, I rebuilt the jet pump, changed plugs, battery, all of the regular maintenance so that I knew when it was done. The ski was running great until about a week ago I was on the water and it was loosing power. I figured the only thing left I didn’t do was rebuild the carburetors so I ordered the rebuild kits and completely rebuilt both carbs. I just finished getting it back together and I fired it up, it idles good but the second I give it throttle it Boggs down. I tried feathering the throttle to get it revved up and it still just bogged down. While rebuilding I checked all fuel and oil lines, oil pump, and everything else there and everything was good. Debating just selling the ski because I don’t have a ton of time to mess around with it but I figured I would come on here first to see if anyone has any ideas, thank you!
Did you use genuine MIKUNI rebuild kits for the carbs and did you follow the Carb Rebuild sticky post to the letter, all the way through?

Did you use genuine MIKUNI rebuild kits for the carbs and did you follow the Carb Rebuild sticky post to the letter, all the way through?
Yes I did use the Mikuni rebuild kits and also I didn’t use any instructions just because I have much previous experience rebuilding carbs, etc so I didn’t necessarily need it.

Yes I did use the Mikuni rebuild kits and also I didn’t use any instructions just because I have much previous experience rebuilding carbs, etc so I didn’t necessarily need it.
Well from my experience, and I've rebuilt damn near anything mechanical, my '96 ski gave me fit after fit working on the carbs....they are the most finicky things I've ever worked on......it took me many tries until I was able to dial them in just right.....

IMHO....99.9% of the time when the ski bogs on the throttle....it's a fuel delivery problem to the engine (assuming you've already ruled out: fuel lines, fuel leaks/ air getting in, gas tank venting, fuel selector switch issues, fuel/water separator O-ring, etc.....

Well from my experience, and I've rebuilt damn near anything mechanical, my '96 ski gave me fit after fit working on the carbs....they are the most finicky things I've ever worked on......it took me many tries until I was able to dial them in just right.....

IMHO....99.9% of the time when the ski bogs on the throttle....it's a fuel delivery problem to the engine (assuming you've already ruled out: fuel lines, fuel leaks/ air getting in, gas tank venting, fuel selector switch issues, fuel/water separator O-ring, etc.....
So what do you think my next step should be? Rebuild them again?

So what do you think my next step should be? Rebuild them again?
I could rebuild them again or my thought was to go put it in the water and seeing if once it’s been running for a little bit then it’ll clear it self out? I’m not sure I’m used to dirt bikes not jet skis

I could rebuild them again or my thought was to go put it in the water and seeing if once it’s been running for a little bit then it’ll clear it self out? I’m not sure I’m used to dirt bikes not jet skis
Update, I took it to the water and I couldn’t get it to start up in the water but it started up 5 minutes before while still on the trailer. I got it home and finally got it started in the garage for it to blow a ton of black oil out of the exhaust, any ideas?

Did you check the popoff during the carb rebuild? You absolutely have to have the correct needle valve spring in there.
I have a 97 GTI (has single carb) that the PO said had rebuilt the carb. It started easily and ran but when I got that junk on the water the throttle was like an on off switch. I ordered an OSD back to oem kit, went through the carb and it runs flawlessly now. Also be sure to set the high and low metering screws to spec.

Last edited:
What is the “sticky rebuild”?
At the TOP of the Forum page...there are "sticky" posts - find the CARB rebuild post by Miki....follow it to the letter ALL the way through....no shortcuts or omissions....MUST use genuine MIKUNI back to OEM kits.....MUST have the right spring(s) too.....new needles and seats never hurt either (but the right ones too). There is a wealth of carb spec info around.....search and ye shall find for YOUR particular setup.

Sounds like you may have a compression issue. When a cylinder loses compression, or has piston damage, it will behave this way. Just get a $20 compression test kit off Amazon and check compression on each cylinder. Anything less than spec psi for your model in each cylinder indicates a piston problem and may require a top end rebuild.

Sounds like you may have a compression issue. When a cylinder loses compression, or has piston damage, it will behave this way. Just get a $20 compression test kit off Amazon and check compression on each cylinder. Anything less than spec psi for your model in each cylinder indicates a piston problem and may require a top end rebuild.
Better yet, borrow one from Napa or AutoZone or O'Reilly.

Do not buy a harbor freight compression gauge. They are defective and give you bad results.

Good morning all, I have a 96 GTI I’ve rebuilt everything from fuel lines, gas tank, fuel sending unit and both cards. The issues is it not going over 10/15mph. I’ve now changed the rectifier and for maybe 30 sec it took off like a “Jetski” and then back to rowboat speed! Any help would be greatly appreciated! I’ve also rebuilt the jetpump and still no better!

Good morning all, I have a 96 GTI I’ve rebuilt everything from fuel lines, gas tank, fuel sending unit and both cards. The issues is it not going over 10/15mph. I’ve now changed the rectifier and for maybe 30 sec it took off like a “Jetski” and then back to rowboat speed! Any help would be greatly appreciated! I’ve also rebuilt the jetpump and still no better!
Please start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back