1996 GTI Possible electrical issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjbemer

We have a new to us 1996 GTI The guy that sold it to us only had it a couple months. It has the aftermarket MPEM in it. I can’t locate an electrical diagram specific to this year and model (seems like a black sheep) anyway where to begin! When we hook up a battery or insert the 5 amp fuse the starter kicks for a second even with no lanyard. When lanyard is plugged in there is no beep. Ski loses power and dies after 1/2-1.5 hours. Tries to restart but just coughs. Choke makes it not fire at all. Gauges also DOA so the questions, is there any other fuses other than the 2 on the MEPM? Could it or the coil be overheating? Went thru the carbs twice, I don’t think it is fuel related. I have a new coil and MEPM on order just looking for ideas! Also where is the beeper? Ski has 140 psi compression cold. Also couldn’t get the pop off anywhere near spec of 46-60 managed 30 even between the 2 with the heavier springs from my rebuild kits. Originals were 15 & 18 on the pop off. Any help or suggestions appreciated. I am mechanically and electrically competent just without diagrams and values I don’t know where to start.

We have a new to us 1996 GTI The guy that sold it to us only had it a couple months. It has the aftermarket MPEM in it. I can’t locate an electrical diagram specific to this year and model (seems like a black sheep) anyway where to begin! When we hook up a battery or insert the 5 amp fuse the starter kicks for a second even with no lanyard. When lanyard is plugged in there is no beep. Ski loses power and dies after 1/2-1.5 hours. Tries to restart but just coughs. Choke makes it not fire at all. Gauges also DOA so the questions, is there any other fuses other than the 2 on the MEPM? Could it or the coil be overheating? Went thru the carbs twice, I don’t think it is fuel related. I have a new coil and MEPM on order just looking for ideas! Also where is the beeper? Ski has 140 psi compression cold. Also couldn’t get the pop off anywhere near spec of 46-60 managed 30 even between the 2 with the heavier springs from my rebuild kits. Originals were 15 & 18 on the pop off. Any help or suggestions appreciated. I am mechanically and electrically competent just without diagrams and values I don’t know where to start.
We also changed the start button and starter solenoid and added a couple extra ground straps. Also changed the starter with one from a parts ski that came with this one. Every once in a while it wouldn’t crank. Also once in a while it won’t crank and we have to pull the 5 amp fuse to reset something then it is fine. We also replaced the regulator/rectifier as it was drawing .125 amps to ground with the yellow wires removed and machine off. Drained the battery over a couple weeks.

Attached is a file that contains various 96 schematics I got off the forum. The GTI is in there. There is also a 96 service manual you could download for free at seadoomanuals.net. The beeper is probably located under the cover on the handlebars. Your ski does not have DESS so the only thing the beeper does is alarm an overheating condition. You could test that by grounding the wire from the thermal sensor while the ski is running. From what I have read on the forum I would be suspicious of aftermarket MPEMs and look for an OEM replacement.

Attachments

• 1996 Sea-Doo Wiring Diagrams.pdf
    305.1 KB · Views: 12
Attached is a file that contains various 96 schematics I got off the forum. The GTI is in there. There is also a 96 service manual you could download for free at seadoomanuals.net. The beeper is probably located under the cover on the handlebars. Your ski does not have DESS so the only thing the beeper does is alarm an overheating condition. You could test that by grounding the wire from the thermal sensor while the ski is running. From what I have read on the forum I would be suspicious of aftermarket MPEMs and look for an OEM replacement.
Thank you for the diagram, i looked all over for one. I probably should have done a broader search as this is for all 1996 models, I was searching specifically for the GTI. I did find an NOS shop manual on eBay and it is on its way. With the aftermarket MEPM I definatly do not have DESS but the machine did originally. One thing I find strange is the wiring diagram shows a tachometer and this machine does not have one. There is a speedometer and the multi-function gauge that does not work. I took the multifunction gauge from the parts machine that came with this one. It was swimming in water in the storage bin for months maybe years. I took that one apart and cleaned the boards and connections. I actually have all the LED's working but not the fuel gauge. I think my temp sensor is bad as that light if I remember correctly doesn't come on or stays on (can't remember I am getting old)

I'm sorry. I was looking at the GTS schematic when I commented to you. Your ski does have a DESS. Also the schematic incorrectly shows a tach but is connected to the paddle wheel sensor which is for the speedometer. Your ski should give 2 beeps when the key is on the post which indicates everything is ok and it is ready to start. It is not uncommon for the beepers to fail, you can test it as I described above. Also, if you just press the start button without putting the key on the post, your gauges should light up for a few seconds (all LCD segments on and all LEDs on) and then function for another 27 seconds (gas gauge would register actual fuel level, etc.) There are other diagnostic codes described in the manual and how to go into a diagnostic mode.

I'm sorry. I was looking at the GTS schematic when I commented to you. Your ski does have a DESS. Also the schematic incorrectly shows a tach but is connected to the paddle wheel sensor which is for the speedometer. Your ski should give 2 beeps when the key is on the post which indicates everything is ok and it is ready to start. It is not uncommon for the beepers to fail, you can test it as I described above. Also, if you just press the start button without putting the key on the post, your gauges should light up for a few seconds (all LCD segments on and all LEDs on) and then function for another 27 seconds (gas gauge would register actual fuel level, etc.) There are other diagnostic codes described in the manual and how to go into a diagnostic mode.
I did find testing procedures and ohm values for a factory MPEM but I am not sure they apply to an aftermarket one (at least ohm readings) Does the aftermarket one still chirp when the key is put on the post considering there is no DESS on the aftermarket unit. From my readings I am under the impression the factory MPEM is no longer available. Not sure I would trust a used one. With any luck the new coil and aftermarket MPEM should be here in time for a Sunday test ride. Another subject, I have read that some jetski’s should not be towed at high speeds without pinching off a water line. It is said it pushes water into the exhaust. Is this one of those ski’s? I have towed in back in 3 times now. The latest about 15 miles. Not that my 60hp 22’ pontoon boat is breaking any speed records towing the Seadoo. Top speed of 17mph on the gps with a good tail wind with nothing in tow! ☹️ Probably towed last time at 10mph. Not sure, my Garmin chart plotter gps decided to switch to night mode and I couldn’t see the display………

I do not know anything about aftermarket MPEMs. I would try to find a tested or working one on ebay or call Westside Powersports. Westside has been recommended by others on the forum.
I believe it is the water inlet line to the engine that should be pinched off, it is detailed in the shop manual. I think I read that if you tow it slowly (5 MPH or less) it should not be a problem. If you have not run it since towing, you may want to remove the plugs, put the wires on the grounding post, crank the engine and see if any water comes out of the cylinders. If it does crank as much as possible out. Then I've seen it recommended to heavily fog the engine then run it in the water to get it hot to burn off any remaining moisture.

I do not know anything about aftermarket MPEMs. I would try to find a tested or working one on ebay or call Westside Powersports. Westside has been recommended by others on the forum.
I believe it is the water inlet line to the engine that should be pinched off, it is detailed in the shop manual. I think I read that if you tow it slowly (5 MPH or less) it should not be a problem. If you have not run it since towing, you may want to remove the plugs, put the wires on the grounding post, crank the engine and see if any water comes out of the cylinders. If it does crank as much as possible out. Then I've seen it recommended to heavily fog the engine then run it in the water to get it hot to burn off any remaining moisture.
Yikes, learning something everyday. I read about towing just yesterday. Grandson had it running yesterday for a minute. We bought it for him back in October when he turned 14 and passed his boaters course. Minimum age and requirement for a PWC here in New York. I only rode it once back in October to see how it was. Had a bog up to about 3/4 throttle then took off at any speed. He only had it out for an hour twice in the fall them we winterized it. This season had it out twice and had to tow back in both times. We will figure it out, I have the service manual and parts coming. In this area it is hard to find a running machine with papers. Plus side to this is it has reverse. Only paid $800 with a very nice trailer cover and nearly complete parts machine so we have room to tinker!

Attachments

• E92EE2B0-A338-4A15-AD90-BA0AF9D03EF3.jpeg
    E92EE2B0-A338-4A15-AD90-BA0AF9D03EF3.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 38646313-EA52-4488-BBDA-25FD16F57676.jpeg
    38646313-EA52-4488-BBDA-25FD16F57676.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 974339CB-E9BA-4F75-A417-FC5FF4EAC641.jpeg
    974339CB-E9BA-4F75-A417-FC5FF4EAC641.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 7
Getting to be a real pro at retrieving tools and hardware from under the engine! Have carb question, there is a noticeable (snap) power increase about 1/2 throttle. Is this where the pop off kicks in? Any advice on if it can be tuned out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back