1996 gsx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaDooBooBoo

Hey everyone-

I just bought a GSX from a guy who was really nice, but knew almost nothing about it. I've started doing some research, trying to learn about them and I want to be able to do the maintenance and repairs myself. I have next to zero experience wrenching, but I'm sure with help and lots of YouTube videos I can figure it out.

My main issue with the GSX is that when I give it full throttle from a stand still, it runs to 4000rpm and will just bog down there, or sometimes it will run all the way to max RPM. Other times it will go to 4k, bog for a second, then it takes off just fine. It also appears to be leaking oil... is that common and what is the remedy?

Thank you all for your help!

First off this needs to be in the regular forum and not the 2 stroke performance section [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION]

Second, Welcome. You have come to the perfect place for info.

Next STOP RIDING IT! Your ski is running lean and you will destroy the engine if you haven't already.

1. Check the compression.
A. Fuel off.
B. Plugs out and wires grounded.
C. Throttle Wide Open.
D. Crank until needle stops climbing.

150 psi is perfect, less than 120 is time for a rebuild.

Next you are going to need a complete fuel system rebuild with carb rebuild too.

Are your fuel lines grey?

What color is your oil?

Yes a leak is common and is probably the rubber grommets on the oil tank fittings.

Apologies for posting in the wrong section.. "I have no idea what I'm doing"

Now I'm not sure if I'm supposed to respond here or somewhere else.. please let me know in the response and I will be sure to post in the general next time.

Thank you for your response, I'm embarrassed to say that not knowing any better, we used the GSX for a good portion of Labor Day weekend with it like this, so I will check the compression but I would be willing to bet it's toast.

I've been seeing that about the fuel lines, and of course mine are grey.

I already ordered rebuild kits for all 3 carburetors. Also ordered new fuel and air filters, and now I will add fuel lines to the list. Any suggestions on which fuel lines to get, or just anything besides the grey ones?

You're all good to go, no need to apologize. We just want to make sure you post in the right section so you get people looking at your thread.

When you rebuild your carbs DO NOT use the springs in the kits. Use the ones in the carbs, they hopefully are the original ones. You can post a pic if you like and well let you know. You will need new needle and seats too, they're 1.5 needle and seats for those carbs. Most of us just use black fuel line from the auto parts store, a 20 or 25' roll will be fine and should cost you about $20 or $25 bucks. Make sure it's ethanol safe, it should be these days. Replace all the clamps with full stainless steel clamps. I get mine at Home Depot in the plumbing section in bags of 10 and I think 2 pack will get you covered. I think there are 20 on the entire fuel system. Just make sure the little screw on the clamp is stainless too, you don't want them to rust up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back