1996 GSX won’t start.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gstew68

I have a 96 gsx that won’t crank from the start/stop button. All fuses are in tact, the switch checked out with the ohms test, the DESS post had continuity and the gauges light up when you stick the key on. There are no beeps. I didn’t know if this what due to the beeper just not working or rather if the key is not programmed. Would the gauges still light up even if it was the wrong key? The owner reassured it was the correct key. I’m at a loss as to why it won’t crank. The engine turns over when you jump the solenoid.

The wrong key will make one beep. The gauges will light, but immediately turn off. I would guess that you have the correct key and your beeper is bad if your gauges stay lit.

Since your start button tested good, my guess is your starter solenoid is junk.

Can't remember if the '96 GSX has the small ground wire on the battery. If it does and it's not connected to the battery, it won't start.

The wrong key will make one beep. The gauges will light, but immediately turn off. I would guess that you have the correct key and your beeper is bad if your gauges stay lit.

Since your start button tested good, my guess is your starter solenoid is junk.

Can't remember if the '96 GSX has the small ground wire on the battery. If it does and it's not connected to the battery, it won't start.

I read that if it clicks it’s often a bad solenoid but I don’t hear a click. Does that matter?

Update- I replaced the beeper and I get 2 beeps when I put the key on so that checked out. I replaced the solenoid and that didn’t fix it unfortunately. The small black grounding wire is connected to the negative terminal to the battery as well. I’m at a loss as to what it could be now

The two wire plug that plugs into the base of the solenoid, are those connections good and clean? that is what sends the start/stop signal I found when I was diagnosing mine.

The two wire plug that plugs into the base of the solenoid, are those connections good and clean? that is what sends the start/stop signal I found when I was diagnosing mine.

The connections look clean. Is there an ohms test or anything you can do on that plug?

The connections look clean. Is there an ohms test or anything you can do on that plug?
Not sure, I didn’t need to do any further testing with mine. From a narrowing down standpoint tho, if you can somehow determine if there is a signal coming down those wires to the solenoid, then you know there’s a problem either with the solenoid or some grounds or connections. If there isn’t a signal, time to look at the mpem

The voltage doesn’t seem to change in regard to me pressing the switch.
strange. all i know is when that was disconnected i stopped getting any feedback at all from the solenoid or starter is my reasoning for that being tied to the start stop

I'm having this exact problem. I have a 97 GSX and a 95 SP. The SP wouldn't hold a charge and I ended up having to jump it off the GSX all summer until my dad put the battery in backwards and fried it (SP not GSX). We parked the SP and took the GSX out alone but the intermittent cavitation both had been having became constant whenever I had 2 people on and riding alone wasn't fun having to leave my wife behind even though the cavitation stopped. So we parked them as it was the season ends anyways. I put new batteries in both as the GSX was the same age and getting tired. The SP fired up perfect and is ready to water test while I figure out which impeller and ring to order for both hoping to solve this on and off no go condition. However the GSX that started perfect now does nothing. The button doesn't cause any change now. I've checked the fuse in the solenoid and a bank of 5 under the hood where the 2nd one from the top, 7.5, was blown and still nothing. With the key in there's no beeps but I can't remember what if any beeping there was last year, though since I read about it I vaguely remember there possibly being something. I can jump the solenoid all day and crank but no start. There's no indication of a spark. It behaves the same no matter if the key is in or not. For the life of me, I can't find how the 2 are related other than they both are part of the ignition system. My best guess at this point is somehow the computer went bad over winter somehow. On both models I have a single large gauge wire on each battery terminal, I've found 6 fuses now and all are good. Everything else like display and the other 4 buttons do something. It's only the start/stop causing no reaction and there doesn't seem to be any spark even with the same key it's always used. Any thoughts or resolution here guys?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back