RESTO 1995 spx project, questions as I go.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

vogs77

This is my 1995 SPX project, bought it cheep in pieces, motor and pump not installed with a box of parts.
20170318_120102.jpg
20170305_112335.jpg

Replaced all fuel lines, factory selector valve, drained all tanks, carbs rebuilt, starter rebuilt, new battery, replaced beeper in handle bars, new aftermarket wear ring, aligned the engine with Seadoo tool, new factory rotary valve checked for proper timing, top end will need a rebuild but I wanted to see if it will run first.

Hull cleaned up good, 1 side of the decals are faded but I am not going to replace at this time.
20170413_212620.jpg
20170413_212538.jpg
20170325_164224.jpg
20170413_212550.jpg

Engine in and properly aligned.
20170413_212511.jpg
20170413_212530.jpg

Questions now? More to come.
Is this part of my Seadoo, found it in the box of parts.
20170413_212438.jpg

What type of oil is recommended for the pump?
Running premix, got Seadoo mineral oil, 40:1 proper ratio?
I grounded my temp wire and don't get an alarm, does the engine need to be running for the alarm to sound?
Do I need to use any type of sealer with my exhaust gaskets?

I don't recognize that part as anything seadoo.
40:1 should be fine if running hard go 32:1.

The lanyard gas to be connected and electronics powered up for the alarm to work. Engine doesn't need to be running.

Exhaust gaskets go on dry unless yours uses a copper ring then it gets Ultra Copper RTV.

I don't have any beep when I ground the temp wire with the lanyard connected, beeper does work properly with 2 beeps when I connect it. The hood is disconnected will this effect the over temp alarm circuit? What should I look at next to properly diagnosis this issue?

I hope to have it running later today without the pump and drive shaft in. Is it ok to connect the hose to the supply line from the jet pump and run water through it the normal flow direction and run it for a while?

The fuel system is dry what is the easiest way to get the system primed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the ngk br9es the correct plug for the 657x? And what is the correct gap to set the at?

Got the fuel system primed with a hand held vacuum pump and got it to fire up today, idles was good and it throttled up nicely but only ran it for a minute or so.

I do have to say I have this ski and I know it's not the fastest thing but it's sure fun to ride

I hope it is, doesn't need to be the fastest just taking my 2 young girls out on the river for some fun! Good learning experience for me too, these old little skis are pretty basic and easy to work on I am finding. Thanks

What are my options for oil for the jet pump, do you have to use the seadoo stuff or is there some other type of oil that works too?

Klotz makes a jet pump oil that is available on Amazon.
Some also just use Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil.

Rubber hose mystery part in first post is for a blower motor on a car. It directs the air back in to the electric motor to keep it cool.

I have some Quicksilver synthetic gear lube here at my house that I use in my boats outdrive, think that will work

Any synthetic GL5 75W90 will work fine I have used Mobil 1, volvo penta GL5 synthetic, Royal Purple GL5, Maxima MGO and Redline GL5 synthetic, the key is it has to be GL5 synthetic and the correct weight.

I was going through my parts some more and realize I am missing the shim, part number 42 in this picture, that goes between the jet pump and the transom of the ski.
5873C9.gif
How important is it, and I didn't have it when I used the alignment tool, will this be an issue with my alignment? Do I need to have it installed or will I be ok without it?

Hull cleaned up good, 1 side of the decals are faded but I am not going to replace at this time.

What did you use the clean the hull ?? Looks like it came out great to me ! Good Job. I have a 1996 SPI I recently purchased and am making sure everything is up to par. I plan to rebuild the carb and get everything ship shape. My lower fiberglass hull needs some brightening... LOL Did you change the carpet pieces ?

I used compound with a buffing wheel then 3m Finesse It polish with the buffing wheel followed up with a good coat of wax applied by hand. As far as the foot pads they were there when I bought it, not sure what material they are but they look ok for now. I am really happy with how it turned out, it was a little rough when I got it.

Ok, got it on the water today and have a couple of issues, but it didn't take on any water and ran kind of good.

1. The starter wont stay engaged, sounds like the Bendix is going to need to be replaced. Can someone recommend a reasonably priced one? Can I get the starter out without removing the exhaust pipe?

2. Now the bigger issue. I had the carbs rebuilt by a reputable shop and it runs great from idle to about 3/4 throttle. After that it falls flat and engine cuts out, not stall, then takes back off if the throttle is held full, then cuts out again and just keeps repeating. Feels like it just runs out of gas. I am going to replace the fuel filter with an after market in line one as recommended by the carb rebuilder, but does anyone have another recommendations to check for this issue? Fuel system is all new.

No reason to replace the stock fuel filter as long as it isn't sucking air. I do not care for inline ones as they can cause a restriction and degrade over time.
I would also suspect your on/off valve if it hasn't been replaced with a good quality one as they are well know to leak air too.

No reason to replace the stock fuel filter as long as it isn't sucking air. I do not care for inline ones as they can cause a restriction and degrade over time.
I would also suspect your on/off valve if it hasn't been replaced with a good quality one as they are well know to leak air too.
New factory on off valve installed already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back