1995 SPX No Spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

a10180

hi, have tried reaching out to the boys in the fb groups but seems no one wants to help!

i was riding in some waves and ended up tipping the boat causing the lanyard to unhook and myself to fall off the side. When i got back on, the ski would crank endlessly but wouldn't start.

I brought it home and turned it over without the plugs but there were no signs of water ingress.

I checked for spark and no luck.

since then, i have replaced the ignition coil with one i had on hand, replaced the kill switch, although if the ski cranks i believe this confirms the post is ok (non DESS)

I have also replaced the MPEM with an OEM one i had on hand.

Eventually smartened up and decided to test the ignition circuit. The MPEM test fine as i have unhooked the wire from the MPEM to ignition coil and cranked it with no spark so the rev limiter / kill switch are not taking away my spark.

This leaves the ignition coil or the ignition portion of the stator.

My main question is, with a fully charged, new battery, what voltage should be reaching the ignition coil at the spade connector from the stator? it is 0v static and while cranking it goes up to around 9v

I have read that if it is under 10.5 v to the coil, it won't send spark to the plugs. Can anyone confirm if this is the case and if so, would this mean the stator is not generating enough voltage or should i be looking elsewhere?

Also, from reading the shop manual, i am to check the ohms coming from the black red wire from the 4 pin deutsch connector from the stator to see if they are between 46 and 70 ohms.

Really looking for any advice here before i pull the flywheel and inspect the stator.

Thanks!

Are the battery cables securred?....And then load test the battery.
Yes, have had the battery in and out about 10 times now testing my replacement parts in the grey box.

I ohmd the black / red wire from the stator and only got .033 whereas the manual dictates 40-76 ohms.

The battery was brand new and ran fine and still runs perfectly fine in our other ski so safe to rule that out.

Figured I’d update this for anyone with a similar issue.

Pulled the stator and found the red/black and black wire grounding out on each other as pictured. Assuming this is the problem but will update tomorrow once I repair the wires and put everything back together

Attachments

• 3C2B026F-8420-404D-9C13-0A622CA69C4F.jpeg
    3C2B026F-8420-404D-9C13-0A622CA69C4F.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 12
Figured I’d update this for anyone with a similar issue.

Pulled the stator and found the red/black and black wire grounding out on each other as pictured. Assuming this is the problem but will update tomorrow once I repair the wires and put everything back together
How did it go?

Back