1995 Speedster new bilge pump install - discharge hole

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawaguy

Hi. Newbie here so any help would be greatly appreciated. Just bought a 95 Speedster and the two times I had it out it was taking on water. Found a blown fuse for the bilge pump. Replaced fuse and bilge pump turned on when switch was off (so I assume faulty solenoid). I plan to replace bilge pump with automatic and wire directly to battery with switch. Since I am taking on water I would like to move discharge hole higher (as shown in my image). Why did Seadoo place the discharge hole so low? I understand head height and head pressure but why did they not go a bit higher? Should I?? Thanks.
bilge question.jpg

I have a 97 sportster and never take on water, if you are you probably have a leak. I believe there is a valve at the discharge that prevents backflow.

Your pump may be ok. The bilge pump will automatically kick on for 20-30 seconds when you first add power, like installing a new battery or replacing a fuse. All of my Challenger boats do it.

There is no valve on the discharge. The hose should be routed with a loop that is above the water line and prevents it from flowing into the bilge

Your pump may be ok. The bilge pump will automatically kick on for 20-30 seconds when you first add power, like installing a new battery or replacing a fuse. All of my Challenger boats do it.

There is no valve on the discharge. The hose should be routed with a loop that is above the water line and prevents it from flowing into the bilge

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes, I did clean up the pump and it is okay. Although not an automatic type. I do need to check to see if the line is looped about the water line. Know of any other typical bad spots for water entry on these boats?

the carbon ring wears down as the driveshaft spins and provides the barrier between the lake and the hull. As these wear down they eventually leak if not maintained.

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes, I did clean up the pump and it is okay. Although not an automatic type. I do need to check to see if the line is looped about the water line. Know of any other typical bad spots for water entry on these boats?
The rubber boot around the exhaust where it goes through the hull is a very common place for leaks. The boot has been discontinued, so I've just used a good silicone caulk to fill the gap between the exhaust tip and hull, and reattached the end of the boot to the pipe filled with silicone. Haven't had any water issues

Thanks! I will look into both of these. I was wondering about the exhaust boot. Looks like the easier fix of the two. Thanks again.

I dug out the sealant where the steering cable and forward/reverse cables go through. I used Acetone to clean it an Marine grade 5200 sealant and it fixed the problem. I now am getting alittle water through the exhaust end when under way and will do the same with that

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_152737.jpg
    IMG_20200812_152737.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200812_152940.jpg
    IMG_20200812_152940.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
Hi. Newbie here so any help would be greatly appreciated. Just bought a 95 Speedster and the two times I had it out it was taking on water. Found a blown fuse for the bilge pump. Replaced fuse and bilge pump turned on when switch was off (so I assume faulty solenoid). I plan to replace bilge pump with automatic and wire directly to battery with switch. Since I am taking on water I would like to move discharge hole higher (as shown in my image). Why did Seadoo place the discharge hole so low? I understand head height and head pressure but why did they not go a bit higher? Should I?? Thanks.
View attachment 49787

That isn't where your bilge pump should exit. At least it isn't on my 94 Speedster. Have a look at the bottom surface of the swim deck. The bilge outlet should be facing straight down. The two exits where you have labelled "old" are for the deck drains. The one-way valves crap out. Seadoo ones are not available but aftermarket ones with a float valve are readily available and much better anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back