1995 Speedster- Exh gasket question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeuceIsLoose

Newbie here- just picked up a 1995 Speedster. I was aware of some of the mechanical challenges that come along with the twin engine boats, and I'm looking forward to keeping this thing in excellent condition. I'm mechanically inclined and have built several motorcycles, rebuilt some JS440's and Yamaha 701's etc. I spent almost 15 years in the motorcycle industry and was a parts manager at some major dealerships in my area. I'm still a parts manager- but what I spend my time on now has wings :thumbsup:

Overall the boat is in great condition. It had both engines rebuilt less than 10 hours ago, and runs excellent with a few issues:

1. Port motor seems to idle a bit low and bog down on acceleration and then suddenly comes on strong really quick. Doesn't CAV but will peak really quick. I'm guessing its too rich. Will check the plugs and see what direction the carb needs to go. Should be an easy fix I assume.

2. Noticed I was having to constantly run the bilge, as there would be water in the engine compartment and sometimes in the ski locker. Header pipe seems to be the biggest offender here. The large clamp connecting the tuned pipe and exh manifold leaks like crazy. The clamp is coated in RTV sealant (blue silicone). I removed the clamp and sealant only to find that the copper seal isn't installed. I'm hunting like crazy for one of these, PN 274000152, but can't locate one anywhere. Does anyone know if the PN has been superseded or if there is an alternate PN#?

3. Water intrusion through the hull. I noticed a couple of spots where a drip or two here or there were coming through the fiberglass in the engine bay. Mainly bottom of the boat by where there were some gelcoat cracks and spots that needed repair. I'll be working on that soon.

Anyway, if anyone has some advice on the copper seal/gasket, that would be great. I've searched all the threads and not found much. Looking forward to learning as much as I can on this little rocket and hopefully contributing some knowledge to this forum eventually.

THANKS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back