1995 SP Starter issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

H2O

All, starter was out when reviving from winterization. Cheap starter so installed new SBT starter (learned my lesson), new solenoid and battery. Hook up negative and starter starts spinning immediately. Not enagaging with fly wheel but can hear it just spinning. Out of ideas so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
H2O

A stuck solenoid will cause the starter to run without pushing the button. Probably cheap aftermarket solenoid?

If it isn't engaging the flywheel it is either a week battery, cables or more likely that junk SBT starter is already finished.

Starter is brand new and new solenoid from SBT. Even tried a new solenoid bought of amazon. Brand new battery. Thought SBT sold good starters. Will double check cables. Any other advice appreciated.

It’s the starter then.

You heard wrong, the SBT starters, solenoids, carb kits, etc are absolute junk.

If you still have the OEM starter just rebuilt it with one of the $20 eBay kits.

OEM starters are solenoids and the way to go if you want to enjoy your ski more than working on it.

SBT stands for Stop Buying Trash I think.....

wait, maybe it's Stop Being a Tightwad.... oops, sorry

So pulled the starter and solenoid from the Xp which I knew where good. Had to pull engine on XP due to the motor broke lose due to shot exhaust rubber bushings and excesive vibration ( another story about kids). Same issue. Get everything installed and as soon as I go to hook up negative to battery, the starter engages. WOndering if it could be a short in the safety switch or start/stop button. Was working fine when I winterized last fall. Open to all suggestions. Thanks

OK, don't laugh.... take a pair of channel locks and use it like a hammer to smack the solenoid. My ski and another ski at a friends shop was the opposite, solenoid was stuck open and wouldn't engage. My buddy owned a shop and when I told him to smack it, smack and it started. I'm still running the original solenoid, 24 years old and wish I had an hour meter from day 1. Try it, don't beat it like a red headed step child, a couple solid whacks. Lee
PS if you want to verify it's stuck ohm meter across big posts, should be nothing but yours will show continuity. post results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back