1995 Kawasaki 1100 STX runs slow in the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

gruntus

1997 Kawasaki 1100 STX runs slow in the water

So I have a 1100 STX and It was tuning great until yesterday. I went out on the lake and for the first 15 min it ran great but then while at full speed it started losing power and slowing down until it died. I got it started back up but could never get it back up to speed. Changed spark plugs and fule filter, went back on the water and even though it would run it still would not go fast enough to get up on the water. I took the ski home and while I was flushing the motor I found that I could rev it up and it sounded fine.

The in line fule filter I got was from a marine repair shop but was not the same that I removed so I'm thinking that it may be for a injection system that has more pressure and is starving the ski of the fule it wants. The motor was running pretty hot while on the hose which could be from the lack of fule making the ski run to lean.

When I removed the three spark plugs I found the the cylinder closest to the front of the boat had no gap at all.

I tried a new fuel filter today that was a high flow non fuel injected one and that did not work. I read somewhere last night that a person removed the fuel filter and that fixed the problem so I also tried that and still had the same problem.

The Jetski was running great and any help you guy can give would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have seen posts like mine on other forums and no matter how old they are there is really never a resolution to the problem.
I hate when people don't post follow ups cuz then a few years down the line no one knows what the fix was ect. :)

The problem with my ski was that the 1 piston detonated. The ski still ran fine after this happened, accept for the loss of power which is why it was hard for me to future out what was going on.
The cause of this has to do with old ass oil lines and from buying this jet ski from a mechanic who had told me that the STX had a brand new motor in it from SBT. I pulled to cylinders off myself, a first for me, and found the damage. Upon inspection of the carbs I found the the #2 carbs small oil line was broken off and that the large puls oil line connected to #1 carb had also broken off. I'm fairly certain that the only reason that I didn't trash the whole motor is because I mix a bit of oil in with the gas just to be on the safe side.
I really blame the jetski mechanic I bought the ski from because when I bought it and asked about some oil in the bottom of the ski I was told that it was do to the engine work that was done on the ski and that it would wash out over time and use. I mean if the guy who works on the jet skis tells you it's normal why wouldn't you believe him.
This is starting to feel like a rant so I'm gonna wrap this up...
The problem was a trashed piston which was caused by 2 broken oil lines.
Moral of the story is. No matter who you buy your jet ski from check the important stuff yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back