Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

1992XP

Hello all,

I have a 1992 Seadoo XP. It ran great last summer after replacing the PTO flywheel, drive shaft, needle bearing and seal carrier. However, when I launched the Seadoo this year, it ran for a short period of time and then died out.

Problem:
The engine starts and runs great on the trailer (with the hose connected), however, it will not run in the water. On some occasions, it will start and run for a very short period of time in the water. For example, when I get it started, it will run, but won't get up to full speed because it will start to bog and then die out. When it dies out on the water, it will not start up again.

- Compression is 145 in both
- Fuel filter is clean
- New plugs
- Good spark
- New starter
- Good battery

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Carb rebuild with only genuine Mikuni parts, fuel selector replacement. Fuel hoses?

Hello all,

I have a 1992 Seadoo XP. It ran great last summer after replacing the PTO flywheel, drive shaft, needle bearing and seal carrier. However, when I launched the Seadoo this year, it ran for a short period of time and then died out.

Problem:
The engine starts and runs great on the trailer (with the hose connected), however, it will not run in the water. On some occasions, it will start and run for a very short period of time in the water. For example, when I get it started, it will run, but won't get up to full speed because it will start to bog and then die out. When it dies out on the water, it will not start up again.

- Compression is 145 in both
- Fuel filter is clean
- New plugs
- Good spark
- New starter
- Good battery

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!
Please clarify (and this is personal drive me crazy moment)....your description says 1992 XP but the "Watercraft List" shows a 1999 XP. Do you have 2 skis and the '92 is not listed or did you do a typo?

REGARDLESS>>>>CARB servicing sounds like the culprit, fuel delivery (hoses, filter, selector, carbs)...gotta all be right or you will be frustrated. The Seadoo's ALWAYS seem to run well "on the trailer"...the water test is the real test as the water puts the full load on the engine (resistance) and the engine needs proper fuel delivery (along with spark, etc) to overcome that resistance. I HAD similar issues with my '96 until I got those carbs sorted out....now she runs like new !)

Please clarify (and this is personal drive me crazy moment)....your description says 1992 XP but the "Watercraft List" shows a 1999 XP. Do you have 2 skis and the '92 is not listed or did you do a typo?

REGARDLESS>>>>CARB servicing sounds like the culprit, fuel delivery (hoses, filter, selector, carbs)...gotta all be right or you will be frustrated. The Seadoo's ALWAYS seem to run well "on the trailer"...the water test is the real test as the water puts the full load on the engine (resistance) and the engine needs proper fuel delivery (along with spark, etc) to overcome that resistance. I HAD similar issues with my '96 until I got those carbs sorted out....now she runs like new !)

Hi Ckrawiec,

Thank you for the reply!
Sorry, that was a typo, it is indeed a '92 XP. Did you clean the carbs or rebuild them?

Hi Ckrawiec,

Thank you for the reply!
Sorry, that was a typo, it is indeed a '92 XP. Did you clean the carbs or rebuild them?
AS Miki has stated and I 100% agree....REBUILD with ONLY GENUINE Mikuni parts.

Initially I had only cleaned my carbs (long story to the chase...the ski sank) since I was 150 miles from home with no hope of getting parts. Cleaning helped but not good enough. Next.....before I KNEW better, I bought carb rebuild kits from SBT....THAT was a fools errand.....the ski would start, etc...but it wouldn't run right in the water. Finally, I got the GENUINE Mikuni parts kits, the Carb rebuild sticky post (top of forum page) and all the right tools and I made a pop-off tester.......then I meticulously rebuilt both carbs in my basement over this past winter.....HAPPY to say that the ski is 100% BETTER, runs like a gazelle.....it is now faster than I ever remember it. The ski is a '96 GTX and I do not know what Number owner I am in its history (the PO - previous owner had already replaced the fuel lines, etc...so it did have some work done before me....basic maintenance looks like. GREAT ski, my personal favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back