1989 SeaDoo Resurrected, few questions about what the shop did & some upgrades

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

redraif

Hello all,

I had a 1989 SeaDoo growing up and long story short it got parked for an extended period after the Lake was let down for serious dam repairs. At the time my Father handled the maintenance and somehow did not winterize it. There was enough that had to be done and we were in a rush to get it back on the water. I just figureed I would let the shop handle it this time. Well it sat so long the best course of action to get it running was a new engine per the shop. So that is done. I know not worth it... blah blah. Sentimental Ski... I saved it.

So on to the questions. I did search, even on google, I did not find any direct answers to my questions. Sorry if any of this is asked alot. And let me know if you need pics or video.

1. I ended up with a new fuel selector switch... apparently it is out 90 degrees or so, so they wrote with sharpie all around the knob on the hull and scribbled all over the factory sticker. Yes I'm vivid... sharpie... how about you let the Cust decide. Anyway, I want to cover up this mess and make things look nice again... would it be possible to add this cover ring to my fuel switch and just orient it so everything points the right way? I have a dremel and I'm not afraid to use it... LOL. I have read the knobs typically come off by removing a top plug and removing a screw and pull off knob like stove?
Sea Doo 1997 GSX 787 Fuel Selector Plate Gas On Off Reserve Bezel GS GSI Limited | eBay

2. The choke lever. I remember it being snug and tight to spring back prior to going to the shop. A picture even shows it tight to the body. Now it is loose & floppy and does not return tight back to the hull. It sort of springs back when you let go, but it sticks out of the hull and flops at full disengagement. The black backing plate between it and the hull even flops about. It will remain with about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the silver cable showing at full disengagement. So obviously in my mind its is out of adjustment. Also could this affect the crafts ability to starting? (it was cranking, but would not turn over... the shop is going to fix this period!)

3. The gas cap. Well when it would not start, I assumed maybe they only put in enough fuel to test it, so I put in 2 gal or fresh ethanol free gas. Still no go... When I did, I noticed the gas cap chain was no longer attached to the body of the boat. That is a lost gas cap waiting to happen. The chain is dangling loose from the cap. So where does it normally attach to the body? Is this something they did when they replaced the motor and forgot to reattach? Where and how do I reattach the chain? Ebay example.
R153 Seadoo SP 580 587 1989 Gas Cap A 275500002 | eBay

4. They also messed with the throttle cable, no worries, but the vinyl cover is all pulled away from the grip section. How does the handle bar plastic attach so I can adjust the cover back straight and tuck it back under the plastic?

5. where on earth does one get the black rubber foot pads/traction mats that are in the far back. The part replacements I have found either go the whole length of the foot well or are the rivet in type. Mine are just applied like stickers? I have no idea where to source new ones. I messaged the folks with the whole foot well style and they said its the whole kit or nothing. That i would have to find someone selling it in sections by length. Anyone have a clue where I should look?
SeaDoo XP (Pre 93)/ SP (Pre 94) BlackTip Turf Traction Mat PSA BLACK DIAMOND | eBay
I just need the small rear part.

6. Does anyone reproduce the instructional stickers on the SeaDoo, not looking for grafix. The warning sticker, the choke sticker, the start and key button... fuel selector sticker if my other idea wont work...

Thank you again for even looking at this. I hope someone has some help for me. And again I'm sorry if I asked stuff that is repetitive. I tried to do my due diligence first.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to take it back to the shop and have them fix the half assed job they did.

1. get a new OEm selector and install it correctly, don't hack up your ski to make the wrong one fit.
2. THere should either be a set screw where it connects to the carb to adjust the length and slack or a nut on the backside where it connects to the hull.
3. The chain is typically attached to the cap with a ring and screw and riveted inside the filler neck on the other end.
4. You are just going to have look to see how it attaches.
5. Hydroturf for the mats.
6. PWC Graphics for the stickers.

Awesome. Thanks you guys. For some reason the notifications did not make it to me email. UGH

So the beast is back at the shop. Shop manager came and picked it up personally. I tried to be there, took off work early the day he was supposed to, but his plans changed. ugh... So poor mom had to deal with him. He tried to argue with Mom about the starting issues. Then it refused to start for him. LOL.

1. As best I can tell I can't get the OEM one for my year. I was on the phone with a local vendor for 45 minutes on hold. and gave up. What he put in will work. There is also enough room to add the bezel below it. There are a few on Ebay. so I will go that route and install a bezel from a newer unit.

2. He said they snugged up the chock lever and its fine now. Planning to go up there this weekend to verify. ;)
3. I found the spot where the pop rivet broke loose from the neck. I asked them if they had an idea how to reattach, but they said there were issues with the neck cracking when you removed it, so they felt it would cause more harm then good. So do you think I could get away with using a small drill to make a new mounting hole and screwing the chain in place in the neck? Or maybe drill a hole and rivet it?

4. They swear they never touched the throttle. SO I'm gonna dig and see what i can find. I have had zero luck finding and install videos for the handle bar covers. Do folks not replace that like the seat covers?

5. Finally found some small pads with mounting tape. LOL... its for a some boat cooler so you can step on it without slipping. LOL. Necessity is the mother of all inventions. ;)

6. Sweet I will check with them for the stickers.

Also I got a bunch of upgrade parts in. Will post pics once everything is installed. It will be getting alot of the upgrade parts we never got when it was new.

The hood with the side mirrors... Purple with be painted grey to match.
Grey seat cover to replace the yellow one.
A grey grab handle in the rear.
I have the storage bin with the actual tubes in it & fire extingisher.
The green grill guards... yeah had to throw a touch of the lime in to offset the grey and white theme.
Soon graphics... once i have him verified running reliably. Probably end of season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back