1989 Seadoo Cranks but no spark!

Status
Not open for further replies.

winn

Hello everyone,

This is my first forum post here so please forgive me if I am doing something wrong.

Recently, I bought a 1989 Seadoo for dirt cheap. It seems to crank fine, but that's as far as I know. I had the spark plugs replaced as well as the ignition coil but it hasn't made a difference. I took the sp plugs out of the sockets and set it close to the ground, as I cranked it there was no spark from what I could tell. Everywhere else I looked led to a possible issue with the rev limiter, but I can't figure out where that really is.

I looked at the repair manual and tried to trouble shoot but no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help me out?

Thank you.

How are you testing the spark plugs just visually? I would try a proper spark plug tester or some premix fuel down spark plug holes and see what it does

How are you testing the spark plugs just visually? I would try a proper spark plug tester or some premix fuel down spark plug holes and see what it does

I tested them by pulling them out and holding them next to the block while checking them visually. I’m going to try getting a new plug and test that spark. After looking into it last night I am thinking the rev limiter isn’t there, it was removed maybe by a previous owner.

Update: I was able to get it started by spraying some starter fluid in the cylinders, but it dies a few seconds after it gets running.. any help?

compression, air, fuel, spark. Well, you know it has 3 out of the 4. Are you getting fuel?

How would I if I am? I took off both gas lines that lead into the carb, 1 from fuel pump and the other I think from the gas tank. the one from the fuel pump has residual fuel in it and the line connected from the carb to the gas tank is dry. Would that be a symptom?

Another update:

I blew the fuel lines out with a compressor, but still have the same result with the cranking, short start, then shutoff. We removed the fuel pump and cleaned it, it is definitely pumping fuel to the carb. My next step is probably going to be removing the carb and cleaning it, possibly getting a carb kit.

**quick question.. whats the maximum amount of time that I can run the ski (out of water) without the hose hooked up to the input? I am waiting on a flush kit to come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back