18 APR 10 from Picnic Island to Skyway and back

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

semperfish

I woke up this morning and felt the need to ride. RAIN! I said, I'm going anyways. Looked in here first to see if anyone else was crazy like me, but ended up solo. I launched from Picnic Island boat ramp and set out to the Skyway. I used 3/4 of a tank, and averaged 35- 40 mph (when I could go that fast) and it took from 12:10 to around 1:45, (I recorded my watch as a timer in the video). The water was relatively smooth despite the weather. Not bad chop at all with no whitecaps. I saw very little boat traffic compared to yesterday when I went fishing in a friends boat from Cockroach Bay past the Skyway and back. I took some pictured and video which I will edit and out in my youtube channel tonight. I will update this thread with the link when I have completed uploading the video. Weather was a little rainy, but I get more wet from spray. I put on my wetsuit and dive booties and found my diving mask most useful. I even had my snorkel in for a while when the spray was really bad. It worked well. With all my gear being black, I probably looked like some amphibious saltwater assassin terrorizing the bay. The Coast Guard RHIB did start to hone in on me but turned away after they got a better look. I was sure I was going to get questioned, but didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
footage from trip

Here is my video, I wish I could afford a better program than windows movie maker, but it works and it was included with the compuer. email me when you want to ride. I have another jetski that is being worked on and will probably be done by the end of the month. Thats the blue/white 'o2 GTX DI that is missing from the trailer. Happy Riding!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzMlkbo6C80

:patriot:
Duane

PICT0035.JPG

PICT0047.JPG

PICT0042.JPG

PICT0050.JPG

Cool man....fun to see a rider out with full on wetsuit and snokel on the East coast :)

For shizzy

JoeZ, did you mean West Coast (as in wet coast of Florida?) or East Coast of the US? I see your from Tampa too? I am trying to figure that one out.:confused:

The water was just coming around to our usual Freshwater Springs temperatures (72 deg), and will be soon bath water, (I love diving in the summer, never cold, around 80 deg) but last Sunday wearing my wetsuit, it was perfect. Had a blast, the mask was a big help too with the amber lenses highlighting the water against the dreary overcast sky. You could really see other boaters. I will probably be getting some amber goggles that do the same for the summer. The water just sheets off of them, unlike my Oakleys, which makes it hard to see. Its like looking underwater with your eyes open. I would have loved to own these skis when I lived on the beach in Oceanside (Camp Delmar on the south side of Camp Pendleton in 03- 05) but couldn't afford it at that time. Happy riding this summer.

Nice vid

Hey semperfish sweet vid thanks, I was needing for a ride lol, I have a spring suit in my garage and never thought of the masks and snorkle. You just gave me 2 more months a year to ride!! rain or shine. hope to see ya out on the water.

I was meaning east coast of the US...the wetsuit thing seems to be more of a west coast trend since those poor guys don't get warm water like us. For them, 70 degrees is a high water temp!

The amber lenses seem like a cool idea, especially on an overcast day like it was for your ride.

It was a bit overcast up here as well, with the occasional break with sun, the water temp ranged from 72 at the launch ramp/bay to 70 on the gulf. I have a pair of sunglasses that have amber lenses, but when i hit about 60-65mph, my eyes still water, i can feel the tears moving across my face lol. Any recommendation on a good set of goggles, i know swim goggles probably wouldnt be that comfortable, and i am sure the snorkle and mask werent that fun either.

Beautiful weather while I am working.

So the last two days, it has been perfect. 1-2 foot seas, light breeze, bay water light chop to smooth, and I am working 12 hour shifts at night and sleeping from 7 am until 1 or 2 noon, then eat something and do chores, then go back in at 6. What a croc, but the nice weather is supposed to stick around for a bit. Glad you guys enjoyed the vid,

So about the mask and snorkel, I really didnt need the snorkel, it was more of an experiment to see if it was better with or without, I mainly kept it out. In the past the spray has been so severe, I was constantly spitting water, so maybe helpful then. The mask was actually really comfortable, and like I said the lenses were great. Water sheeted right off, and the amber lenses lit everything up. Without them, it was hard to see any traffic, but you could really see the boats way out with the amber. I have seen some amber goggles for riding jetskis, I believe in Barney's. Next time I am there I will look again.
JoeZ, gotcha, I actually bought this suit in Carlsbad, CA near Sandiego for surfing (which I suck at) and it really helps. That water is freezing, you hardly see anyone in the water unless they have a wetsuit on.
Hitman, I know what you mean about the sunglasses, they just dont cut it. Like I said, I will look at Barney's (Its a PWC/ motorcycle/ jet boat/ four wheeler shop here in central Florida) They have a website but dont list all their accessories on there.

I would love some like these for sunny days, but I dont see amber for dreary days. Guess there arent too many of those anyways where you will be riding (I have the mask) and you dont have to worry about riding at sunset because it is illegal to ride in the dark. So I will probably order these unless I find some that are better. http://www.oakley.com/pd/1334

sun won't shine for me either

Trip out man same story here, I work 5p to 5a and originally came from So Cal and surfed,(rather poorly I must say as well) all around San clemente, Pico, trussels, 1000steps, Huntington beach you know just slightly north of your stomping grounds, and yeah that's why I got my spring suit the pacific is cold. I'm going out for the first time this season on Saturday probablly just Old Tampa Bay to get the first fuel tank outta there. On the glasses thing I have a pair of amber motorcycle glasses with the foam around the inside of the lens frame to keep wind out and they do keep your eyes from tearing, can't feel wind at all, I hated that with regular glasses, but they pretty much blow for keeping the water out they tend to want to fill almost like googles so they only last for a few min then you gotta stop and drain and wipe the inside lens with something dry. but still twice as good as regulars, I like the amber too, will take my mask for sure this time.

I dont seem to get that much water in the face on my GTX, i will here and there in bigger chop, but over all, i am not getting soaked. I might have to look into those goggles you have, what brand are they? I wonder if cuting a few small holes/blocks out of the foam at the bottom would help with the draining problem without hindering the airflow.

hey hitman, the ones I have are just cheapies. They don't even have a name on them. They already have 4 grooves in the foam to let some air in so the water does more or less get out but, the issue is that the lens gets wet on the inside and you can't see through without drying them but still as I said way better than regular glasess I put a pic of em on my page check em out if you want. I got them at a motorcycle dealer, I see them all the time wherever cycle stuff is.

I tote my mask, snorkel, and fins around in my jet ski in case I need to go under the hull and de-weed, or if I find an interesting place to snorkel. I have a small grappling anchor too. I guess a mask and snorkel would be usefull if riding in heavy rain! Where's picnic island?

Back