12v Low... What am I missing?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schindy

2007 Wake 155 with 40 hours... been stored for 10 years. Replaced battery, took it out last September and rode for 2 hours and ripped with no issues. Stored for the offseason with trickle charger and took it out a few weeks ago. After 15 minutes, ski slowly died and displayed 12v low. Thought battery was no good and replaced. Took it out, rode for 2 hours with no issues. Next day, 15 minutes into ride, 12v low warning, slowed, and then died. Try to start, turns over but no ignition. Loaded and took home and checked the battery. 12.8 volts cold and for grins, tried to start and fired right up. 14.10volts while running but getting same 12v low/P0562 warning immediately after starting up.

So far I have tested:
1. Rectifier checked out with voltmeter but just to be safe, ordered a new one, but same problem.
2. All fuses are clean and not blown.
3. Brand new fully charged AGM battery... 12.85volts, 14.10volts while running (stator must be good right?)
4. Hot wires coming off starter solenoid that are powering rectifier (known to corrode and break) are re-routed with new wiring and ring terminal.
5. No visible corrosion anywhere. The inside looks brand new.

Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Last edited:
I had a similar experience with my 07 GTI, (With Brand New Battery) ended up rerouting the new regulator and still had the issues. This weekend after sitting for 3 weeks went to start up and the battery was dead. I ending up taking a fully charged battery from my wife's ski (She was thrilled) and it started up and the BONUS I ran for 3 hours and no warnings at all. Long story short, it was my "Brand New" Battery that may have been the root cause of all my initial problems.

That’s good stuff! I started the season with a brand new lead acid battery and thought that may be the problem so I replaced with AGM... same 12v low warning

2007 Wake 155 with 40 hours... been stored for 10 years. Replaced battery, took it out last September and rode for 2 hours and ripped with no issues. Stored for the offseason with trickle charger and took it out a few weeks ago. After 15 minutes, ski slowly died and displayed 12v low. Thought battery was no good and replaced. Took it out, rode for 2 hours with no issues. Next day, 15 minutes into ride, 12v low warning, slowed, and then died. Try to start, turns over but no ignition. Loaded and took home and checked the battery. 12.8 volts cold and for grins, tried to start and fired right up. 14.10volts while running but getting same 12v low/P0562 warning immediately after starting up.

So far I have tested:
1. Rectifier checked out with voltmeter but just to be safe, ordered a new one, but same problem.
2. All fuses are clean and not blown.
3. Brand new fully charged AGM battery... 12.85volts, 14.10volts while running (stator must be good right?)
4. Hot wires coming off starter solenoid that are powering rectifier (known to corrode and break) are re-routed with new wiring and ring terminal.
5. No visible corrosion anywhere. The inside looks brand new.

Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks for your help,
Mike

#4: Other way around.....the starter solenoid does not power the rectifier, the rectifier converts the stator AC power to DC and keeps the wire back to the solenoid post (battery side) up to 13.5 (+) VDC volts to keep the battery charged up for the next start cycle.

The 12V low problem is a real PITA...especially if you see 14.1 VDC at the battery with ski running at idle or on the trailer on a hose (that should indicate a good stator and a good rectifier). You already checked the wiring, fuses and looked for corrosion....you got a gremlin somewhere....I'm still chasing a 12V low on my '96 seems like forever...sigh!

These skis are fickle though.....testing the ski in a static state (not under performance conditions) sometimes takes us down rabbit holes.....if you could...try monitoring the ski battery voltage while running on the water (bouncing around)....see if you are still seeing 14 volts at the battery under those conditions....rig up some long wires with ring terminals connected to the battery and a meter and tape the voltmeter to the handlebars to see what's going on while riding it....that might tell you a different story....just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back