05 Challenger replacing PTO bearing. Parts help!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 Challenger that just went on the water from winter storage for the first time last weekend. 1 ride went great, second ride went well except for pulling the drain plugs when the boat was on the trailer resulted in a lot of oil dripping out of the drain plugs.

Upon inspection, oil is dripping from the bottom of the rubber grommet/bearing assembly where the driveshaft goes into the engine when the boat is running.

This is under the supercharger so it’s hard to see, but I can feel the oil leaking with my hand under there.

Does anyone think it’s possible that a clamp loosened up? Or is it likely to need the bearing/grommet replaced?

I’ve put together an order list and was hoping you guys could confirm I am getting everything needed, and maybe recommend anything I should also do while it’s apart.

Parts under the propulsion diagram:
- (33) C-clip. 271001575
- (34) support ring: 295501200
- (35) o-ring - 2 needed: 293300044
- (36) carbon ring: same part number as 34, do these come together?
- (37) Bellow: 272000183
- (38) Norma clamp - 2 needed: 293650077

Parts under the PTO cover/magneto diagram
- (42) bearing: 420832648
- (43) o-ring: 420631610
- (44) gear clamp: 420851653
- (45) gear clamp: 420853023

I’m planning to order thru the forum shop, but with no phone number to call to confirm these are the parts I need, I figured here is the best bet! Do you guys think I should do all of these items since I’ll have it apart? No salt water and everything visually looks like new.

I’m also thinking I may want to get the pump alignment tool and do that while it’s apart. Recommended? Anything else I may be missing?

Well I just pulled the supercharger to get a look at things and it turns out the rearward (larger) hose clamp on the bellow had slid off. I took it off and cleaned the surfaces of the bellow and the clamp and reinstalled. Within 2min it had worked itself back off. What am I missing? I’ve put 80hrs on this boat since I bought it without issue and all of a sudden this clamp popped off. Cant seem to figure out what initiated it and now I’m stumped on how to get it to stay in place! Thoughts?

Here is a photo looking down from above the supercharger (supercharger removed). This hose clamp is what keeps sliding off. Even putting it just snug, it seems too loose to create a seal. Any ideas? Could this indicate something else going wrong (maybe a bearing going bad here or somewhere else down the driveline?) Seems weird it all of a sudden popped off after running great for so long.
85601875-8498-465B-8B2E-8E154884FEC6.jpeg

Check cylinders for pressure - as in a compression test? If not, can you provide more details?

Here is a photo of the bellow hat pulled back - is the clamp supposed to ride on this flat surface of the bearing? If so, it seems as though the bellow needs to be pulled toward the jet pump to slide it over the bearing enough for the clamp groove in the bellow to match the flat surface of the bearing

Attachments

• 654EF6C7-6D41-4338-B01E-C8DB688AF2B7.jpeg
    654EF6C7-6D41-4338-B01E-C8DB688AF2B7.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 31
Update - ordered an ear clamp to replace the standard hose clamp. Oil is still leaking through the bellow. I confirmed with an inspection mirror that the oil is seaping out between the outer surface of the bearing and the rubber bellow (when the engine is idling, it drips about one drop every 3 seconds). Any advice? Do I just need to crank down in the ear clamp to tighten it more? It’s on there pretty tight and I didn’t go tighter for fear of tearing through the bellow.

Those bearings can leak. Are you sure it's leaking from the boot? The boots themselves can leak if they crack or get cut from an over tightened clamp. Changed one last week with a small tear in the boot from age.

Pull the drive shaft mine was pitted and caused a leak then you can have a good look at the bearing any issues replace. Check the Sea-Doo manual and make sure when it goes back in it’s seated properly. They go through the procedure how to check.

Yes I did confirm that oil is seaping out between the outer race of the bearing and the rubber bellow with an inspection mirror. Interesting thing was that I picked up a narrow band gear clamp and snugged it up, ran the boat in my garage for 30sec and no oil leaked out, but as soon as I put it in the water it started leaking again. That’s when I decided to pick up the ear clamp but even with that it still leaking (which makes me wonder if it’s seating on the narrow bearing surface properly).

I may try to pull the bellow off the bearing (towards the motor) so I can get a better look at whats going on. I’d hate to pull the whole driveshaft assembly off just for a darn boot/clamp issue. How long does that procedure generally take for a first timer? I’ve done the supercharger enough now from this issue that I can have it off in about 15min!

Yep I chased mine for a while till I pulled everything apart. Then I found the real issue, removing the shaft isn’t to bad really the tuff part for me was removing the “C” clip on the drive shaft that holds your carbon seal in place. remove the 4 bolts that hold on your jet assembly pull it back to expose the drive shaft. Then remove the “C” clip and just pull the shaft out. there is some great YouTube videos on removing everything. If your shaft is ok not worn like mine then I’d replace the bellows assembly. Make sure when the shaft goes back in that it’s seated properly there is a line on the shaft that meets with the bearing. Look for documents on how to do this on line that’s where I found them. Oh and pull the super charger it gives you mor room to work and remove the bellows.

I’d say first time took me about an hour now it’s like 20 minutes. My bet is the bellows is bad and needs replacement. Let us know what you find.

Yep 4 bolts pull the pump assembly and impeller off in one shot. Remove the C clip shaft comes out. Take your time the first go you’ll do fine!

You have impeccable timing...just pulled the supercharger off and hopped on here to look for the manual. Thank you!
We’ll I just reinstalled the driveshaft, made sure the ‘telltale groove is not showing’ and reinstalled the c-clip on the hat. However, the gap that should be showing on the bellow is closed up. Almost as if the rubber accordion boot that holds the carbon ring is pushing the driveshaft into the motor too far. I’m concerned about running it for fear of the driveshaft splines running through the new bellow setup.
Any ideas why this could be, since the telltale groove is not showing, indicating the bearing is far enough onto the driveshaft?

I should add that the pump assembly has not been installed yet, however that does not pull back on the driveshaft in any way, correct?

Mine is closed as well the one end attaches to the engine the other has a bearing for the shaft. No issues for the couple years it’s been in. The bellows really just holds the bearing on the shaft and attaches to the engine block. If your grove isn’t showing and you C clip is in your good to go! If the shaft isn’t in far enough you’ll know when you go to put your jet assembly back on. You can turn your shaft a bit to make sure your spines match up with the engine it will have a positive engagement. Splines should never touch the bellows if the shaft is fully seated.

That’s correct it’s doesn’t pull it back at all. Make sure your drive shaft is seated properly you’ll know when you go to put your jet assembly on. Mine has been like this for years no issues.

CSager I cannot thank you enough for your help on this! Everything was exactly what I needed )including the confidence boost) and even though I consider myself to be somewhat mechanically inclined, I would encourage anyone to tackle this job - there’s really not a lot to it once you take everything apart and see how it all works. If you’re concerned, take photos, reference this, and have a 2nd set of hands to help pull/push/wiggle/etc

In summary, my bellow was leaking oil between the bearing and the bellow - I dont know why all of a sudden it start leaking out of the blue, but the bellow was NOT damaged, however replacing the clamp did not fix the issue - I ordered a new bellow/bearing assembly (which was the ticket) and I’m confident I could clean up the original and use rtv silicon between the bearing and bellow and clamp it with the proper ear clamp if this one ever gives up. I think once oil seeps through there, the assembly needs to be removed and cleaned (and maybe rtv’d) to truly stop the problem.

In hindsight, I removed the supercharger to replace clamps and try new styles, tighten more, reposition clamp, etc that it would have been way less effort to pull everything apart, clean, and reinstall like I ended up doing anyway (except I replaced the bellow assembly ~$100).

I did not use any special tools and was able to remove the c-clip on the hat by myself using only my hands to push the hat towards the rear of the boat and hold it in place, while I used an adjustable crescent wrench to pop the c-clip off (adjusted just wide enough to slide past the driveshaft, but grab the c clip ends).

Upon reinstallation, I oiled the o rings in the bearing/bellow assembly AND the driveshaft surface that the bearing seats on - this was critical to get the bearing to seat far enough onto the driveshaft to hide the telltale groove - Once the bellow was in place, I slid the driveshaft through the bellow/bearing until it stopped, then used a block of wood and mallet to tap the driveshaft until it bottomed in the engine and the bearing assembly was on the driveshaft far enough to cover the telltale groove.

Aside from that, we had 2 great days on the water after reinstallation and all is well so far! Hope this helps someone in the future

Awesome! I was in the same boat when I started the first time! Glad everything worked out and you learned mor about your boat! Have a great summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back