04 Sea Doo Islandia, *only been used twice*. Marine Battery?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonCo

Hello, Just want to start off by saying that I know absolutely nothing about boats. My parents bought an 04 Sea Doo Islandia brand new back in 2004. The boat has been used on the water a total of 2 times. Yep twice... It's been sitting in a storage unit for the last 14-15 years. My parents left the boat in storage 4 hours away and just forgot about it. Nowadays they don't have the finances or time or even the passion to get it back on the water. That is where I come in :). Now that I am much older, I am ready to take on this challenge. I just made the trip down to pick up the boat and it is now sitting in my driveway. It still looks brand new, everything in mint condition. Even the engine, everything on it looks brand new even after all these years. I mean not even dust on the engine, it looks like it was just bought.

My question is! What is the best battery I can put in this thing of beauty? Also, I just finished being on a 2 month waiting list to get this boat looked at and repaired if it needs any. Any ideas on what to expect? It was dipped in fresh water only 2 times. It has no rust. Even looking at all the hoses in the engine bay, they all look fresh and don't look or feel dried out at all. Even the factory black tape used in some spots from the wiring is still fresh as if it was just used... It's weird, almost like I traveled back in time.

My main question though is what battery would you suggest I buy for it? I need to drop it off at the boat shop sometime this week so I need to pop one in there ASAP! Thought I'd do that part myself so I can have control on what battery is put in it. Budget for battery I'd probably not want to spend any more than $450. Thanks for the read and excited to see the responses, thanks for your time and help.

I always liked Die-Hard... but Sears is dead... and that line of batteries just isn't the same. BUT... the Duracell brand is made by GMB and is using the old specs!! I put one in my UTV, and my Tractor about 3 years ago... and they are still going strong. (FYI, my tractor is a Diesel Kubota, so it's hard on batteries)

I put 2 fresh Duracell batteries in my boat this season... and they have been great. Sam's Club seems to have the best price on them. My Group 27 MS battery was $80 and the Group 24 DC was only $60.

Congrats on the boat. BUT... short time is almost worse that high time. ALL THE RUBBER WILL BE DRY ROTTED. So, drain the fuel... and replace the filters. (Oil and fuel) Then, I would mix up 20 gallons of fuel 50:1 and put it in the tank. The extra oil will help keep the engine happy until it's run a little.

Hello,
I installed a pair of Optima marine batteries in my boat (3) years ago and am happy with them. I chose them because they are gel cells and can withstand more of a beating than a conventional acid/lead battery. They are expensive, $250ish, but in my experience seem to hold up better. I have one in my Corvette that is 10 years old and have never had a problem with it holding a charge or starting the vehicle. Have also incorporated a trickle charger package on them so they will stay topped off when sitting or in storage.
Mike

Not to be an ass... but Optima batteries are all hype. When they came out... I had a bunch of buddies put them in off-road vehicles (Jeeps) and they were all failing within a year or two. (real abuse. Start-stop, crazy angles, running a winch... so on) Not to mention.... they are just CRAZY over priced.

The batteries I pulled from my boat this year could still start the engine... but they are 8 years old, and I just wanted the knowledge they were fresh when sitting in the middle of a lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back