04 RXP speedometer working intermittently

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidrxp

Hello to all,
I have a 04 RXP With around 235hours on it. I am the original owner and keep good care of it. There is nothing wrong with the ski other then the following… I am writing on here in hopes that someone else has experienced what I am going through now with my speedometer working intermittently. So to be clear here my speedometer will work fine then it will stop working while driving then it will start working again.
Recently my speedometer would not work when the ski was cold (1st started up and used it) then after it warmed up (got hot) it worked fine….
Okay TO BE CLEAR on what I have done to narrow it down…..
I checked all wires and performed the test from the manual about turning the speed paddle with multi meter hooked up to wires to get reading it passed that test. I have tried multi meter several times on the wires from the speed paddle all the way to the front of the ski…
I am not getting any trouble codes from the ECU so that checks out.
The Tach & Speedometer both go to MAX Positions then back to normal when the key is inserted just as they are supposed to…..
The Tachometer still works when the speedometer does not. When the speedometer won’t work it does not work analog or digital but the tachometer still works…. Go figure…..
I am at a loss here ready to give up…. Need some help from you guys on here I know there has to be someone else with a RXP OUT THERE that has experienced similar/same problems and perhaps could shed some light on my problem here to help me please….
I am thinking it is either a short in 1 of the wires that I must have missed or it is another unknown electrical problem.

Sometimes you can get debris caught in the little paddle wheel and it stops from spinning. Happens to me usually if there's a lot junk floating on top of the water (ie algae leaves).

Hello there
1st off thanks for replying back so quickly. I did indeed check the paddle wheel as the manual call it and it is fine not missing any blades or pieces....
So I think you might be right about debris I will check again. My problem is that I have tested the paddle wheel/speed sensor with multi meter and it tested fine... Ugh that is why this is so frustrating.... The problem is sporadic it only stops working at random so its quite hard for me to narrow this problem down...
Well hopefully some others will chime in here so we can get some more insight and opinions as to what is really going on....
I know there has to be someone else with the same problem on the same ski or very similar/close year. Then hopefully that person will see this post and chime on what caused their problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back