04 GTI Super high idle after warm up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GTILE04

So I only ran my ski once last year but poured a can of seafoam in it and after a dozen or so cranks the other day it started up. It's on trailer with water line connected. Plenty of water flow. Idled great for 2-3 minutes and then the idle ramped up crazy high so the whole ski was shaking. I pumped the choke and it came down for a few seconds only to ramp back up again. If I let it cool off it's the same story every time. Idles great until it warms up and then ramps up to super high. Anyone have any ideas ???

First off seafoam has no place in your tank, especially a full can. It’s a solvent and can remove the oil film from engine parts that a 2 stroke needs to survive.

I would drain the tank.

What you are expecting is a lean runaway and it will destroy the engine. It’s getting such little fuel and running so hot it doesn’t need spark like a diesel.

You either have an air leak from a bad gasket or seal on not enough fuel from a dirty or leaking fuel system.

Thanks for the reply Mikidymac ! I've had the ski for thee years and never had a problem, but then this is the first time it's sat for any stretch without being used. Just a recreational user and not a ski guru by any means. Took the word of a guy at a marine shop who advised I use the sea foam. I will dump the tank and start new. Just curious as to why you think it idles perfectly for 2-3 minutes and then ramps up to very high instead of just idling high from the start.

Thank again for helping out a novice ....

Have you ever rebuilt the carb? Cleaned the fuel strainer or replaced the fuel valve?
I have an 03’ so hopefully I can help out.

Didn't get the manual when I got it. I was told carbed by previous owner, but by your question it GTI LE can be either. I was told that only the RFI model was fuel injected. Hate to admit it but now I'm not sure exactly what I have.... So, without too much shaming... I can take a little : ) How can I tell ?

No I have not. It was barely used when I bought it. had been sitting in a garage for a lot of years. At least he ran the gas out of it and when I put fuel and oil in it it has run great ever since. First real issue I've had with it.

Well.... issue with the way it runs anyway. One odd thing about it was the previous owner said that every time he would start to take it out there would be a mix if oil and gas in the bottom of the ski after sitting a while. He said he took it back to where he bought it 3 times and they always said they did this or that but he said it was always there when he finished running it for the day no matter what they did. It has stayed the same since I have had it. always about an inch or two deep in the bottom of the ski after sitting for a week or two. I clean it out, look and feel around but can't find the source of the leak. But it has always run great.

The engine will be laying over on its side if it’s a RFI and straight up wit the spark plugs directly on top if it is the carbed 720.
The oil in the bottom is a leaking oil tank.
Let me know the engine and we’ll go from there.

It's a GTI LE carbed 720. I will have to empty the tank this weekend and put fresh fuel in and hope that the Seafoam has something to do with the high idle. Seems that if it was though it would do it as soon as I cranked it up instead of a few minutes of idling fine.. Thanks again for any insight.

The seafoam isn’t the problem but also isn’t good.

I’m guessing fuel starvation from a dirty carb.

If yours is from California you might as well replace the carb. Once you take the tamper caps off to clean mine would never run correctly and I have done about 100 carb rebuilds and it’s the only one I ever gave up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back