04 3d smoking a lot when started. runs great after that and only smokes after sittin

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tryme

i have read a lot about the problem but no definate answers. has been a problem all year. smokes like crazy when it first starts. like large smoke plume. noticed that if i pull the plugs it spits out a lot of fuel/oil out of one cylinder and not the other. the other cylinder is fine and like i said it runs great when it burns it all off. any ideas where to start?

Its just how they are, the 3D runs on one cylinder at idle and the second kicks once you start to rev it, because the oil pump never stops it will oil up and foul the plug of the cylinder that doesnt fire
It was an attempt to reduce fuel usage and emissions but really its just a pain in the arse, with my old one i just didnt let it idle much and if you need to stop in the water to do anything or talk shut it off

You're oil pump might not be set correctly, if there is too much tension on the cable it will feed excess oil in.
Otherwise it's possible there is a leak between the rotary shaft and the crank on the side if the offending piston but its not very likely

I don't think that is normal, yes they run on one cylinder at idle but that much smoke is usually a sign of a leaking rotary valve seal, does it seem to be worse the longer it sits? if you answer yes you need to do a leak down test on the rotary valve reservoir, you will need to block the lower hose going to the bottom of the oil tank and install a pressure tester (mighty vac) to the hose going to the top of your oil tank, pressurize it to 5-7 psi and it should hold it, I think the test says it should hold for 10mins, but it should easily hold for and hour or more. If it is loosing pressure make sure it isn't coming off any fittings (that should be evident by oil leaking off the fittings) if that checks out it is leaking inside the engine past one of the crank seals in the centre of the engine, if it was leaking off the rotary valve shaft seal itself you should see oil in both cylinders. If the leak is small enough its an annoyance more than anything, but if it is bad enough you could hydraulic lock the engine and possibly bend a rod trying to start it once its been sitting long enough. In that case you would before starting it remove the spark plugs and crank the engine over to get rid of the excess oil first.

It looks to be one cylinder. just what i thought. is it better to just purchase a new engine and not mess with a while teardown from a dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back