03 gti le rfi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saigon

Will not run when I put it in the water but will start on the hose fine . Compression, fuel,charging, is all checked and good . Any help in what to look for I got the stator cover off cause it backfired this last time I fire it up .

What’s the actual compression?

Too much rotary valve clearance will make it impossible to start in the water just like low compression.

Clearance spec is like .010" - .014". I've had engines with .018" start and run just fine.

Fuel was holding at 50 I've checked everything but the valve clearance it runs good on the hose that's what's getting me confused.

Fuel was holding at 50 I've checked everything but the valve clearance it runs good on the hose that's what's getting me confused.
Running good on the hose means absolutely nothing so don’t let that confuse you. There’s no load on the engine when it’s running on the hose, being in the water is the only true test. A shop near me actually has a water tank in their shop that they lift the ski into so they can test them under load.

What is your peak fuel pressure? When you test the holding pressure you are looking at the regulator function. I had one that dropped off to 20psi in less than a minute and the ski still ran fine.

Running good on the hose means absolutely nothing so don’t let that confuse you. There’s no load on the engine when it’s running on the hose, being in the water is the only true test. A shop near me actually has a water tank in their shop that they lift the ski into so they can test them under load.
I have considered a test tank as that would be a great thing to have. I read about a few of them, complaints people had and such. Everything could be safely tested right there, no hooking up hoses, worring about runaways, good cooling water tests, water seal stays cool. It's a win all the way around.

I could do it on my property easy. Get an old 18' center console boat. Cut off the console and bury it. Viola !! You now have a cajun water test facility. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back