03' Bombardier 4 person Seadoo in limp mode

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwrape

Hey guys, Jason here, first time poster here but frequent tons of other forums, mostly car forums.
Anyways, I don't know what to search for on here or I would have so I will just ask.
My Dad has a 2003 4 person Bombardier that he just got. It was running perfectly last weekend and then went into limp mode. He thought it was the plugs and replaced them and still ran like crap.
After he looked for everything he could to figure out what was wrong he took it to our local boat and PWC mechanic. The mechanic said it needs a new top end to the tune of $3500. We both do not believe that, so we are here to see if anyone knows what it could be.

Basically, my sister was riding it along with a half dozen other people all day. She was cruzing across the big water and it went into limp mode and started smoking a little more than usual, almost like the gas had been mixed to rich.
Anyways, Dad changed the plugs out and it will run but barely and it will go but only very slowly.
Anyone got any iddeas? You help is very much appreciated.
Thanks
Jason

EDIT: just found out he was running regular unleaded fuel in it if that matters, not sure. it's in Limp mode.

How many beeps did it send out...that will help a lot. Also what model seadoo is it... You should list it and the year in your avatar for future inquires. Seadoo's aren't like most Pwc's, you really need a qualified seadoo mechanic to check out your seadoo that knows them.

Karl

How many beeps did it send out...that will help a lot. Also what model seadoo is it... You should list it and the year in your avatar for future inquires. Seadoo's aren't like most Pwc's, you really need a qualified seadoo mechanic to check out your seadoo that knows them.

Karl

I found out from the manual that it's 03' Bombardier LRV, don't know how many beeps at this time. He will find out the beeps, later this week

The mechanic said the compression is down to 60 on the front cylinder. what would cause that?

Last edited by a moderator:
So from what I have read. Low Compression basically always means we need to replace the motor.
Our friend also said that once the motor is replace we need to NOT use the DI and just run premix all the time. I think that is probably a good idea. Both Jetski's run on Premix anyways so we can fill the auxillary tank on the boat with all premix and be done with it. :cheers:

Anyone have a good place to get a new 951 DI motor for the LRV?
Thanks

double check the compression yourself. and the DI is the direct injection of fuel. not 2-stroke oil. if you have low compression in one hole, you need 1 piston and maybe a head. at most a top end rebuild. not a motor. it doesn't burn a piston from lack of oil. it is from too much heat. if you don't have oil you sieze the crank. then you need a motor. a lot of mechs don't wanna work on engines. they just replace them.

951 Di

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT RUN A 951 DI (DIRECT INJECTION FUEL SYSTEM) ON PREMIX. The counterbalance shaft relies on the oil injection pump for it's lubrication.
DAWG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back