01 sea doo gti 717 at full throttle rides fine after a couple of minutes will start to bog down and shut off

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron787gsx

Hey everyone my wife was out on our sea doo gti and was riding it and out of no where it would shut off almost like it was not getting the right amount of fuel. Since then I rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel lines just curious if anyone knew what it might be there was no change after rebuilding the carbs it still did the same thing. Also after it would cut off it was hard to start back up but would then ride fine for a couple of minutes or so and then cavitate and shut down again. Just curious if anyone might know what it could be thanks!

Could be the voltage regulator.

What carb kits did you use?
Did you replace the needle and seat?
Did you replace the gray fuel lines if it has them?
Didi you replace the fuel strainer and fuel selector?

It sounded like a fuel problem for sure until you said it cavitates and then shuts off... Is it actually cavitating, or does it just feel like the power falls off and then it dies?

Could be the voltage regulator.

What carb kits did you use?
Did you replace the needle and seat?
Did you replace the gray fuel lines if it has them?
Didi you replace the fuel strainer and fuel selector?
Yeah carb is rebuilt replaced needle seat adjusted pop off pressure no gray fuel lines and I replaced the fuel lines for the heck of it cause I have so much of it the strainer I cleaned out and fuel selector I had a new one and replaced it. The only reason I rebuilt the carb was cause I thought it was a fuel issue so I did all that and it is still doing the same exact thing

It sounded like a fuel problem for sure until you said it cavitates and then shuts off... Is it actually cavitating, or does it just feel like the power falls off and then it dies?
Feels like it cavitates it’ll run good full speed then just bog down cavitate and cut off

Check your fuel tank vent. If it doesn't let air in it can build a vacuum and starve the carbs of fuel.

Feels like it cavitates it’ll run good full speed then just bog down cavitate and cut off
Cavitating and bogging are on opposite ends of the spectrum. If it’s bogging, it should feel like the motor is under a lot of load and not wanting to rev. If it’s cavitating, it would feel like it’s revving freely, but you’re not going anywhere, like a clutch slipping...

I had the exact same problem with my 96 XP, it was weird. You might want to try this. "remove the screen" off the bottom of the fuel baffle or replace it and see what happens. "Don't use just any screen material"... I tried that. :) So the what goes on is the skis run fine at lower power only because it can supply enough fuel at that power setting. As you ride hard it sucks down the level in the baffle and you have no fuel. Engine kills. Is a little hard to restart but restarts and operates at reduced RPM... while the baffle is filling back up. Hammer down again and it does the same thing again and again. LOL Ask me how I know. I even got a low fuel level when the tank was full. Give that some thought and good luck.

Last edited:
Basically at full power riding for a couple of minutes it will slow down cavitate and shut off
The motor slows down, or the ski slows down while the engine revs higher? The use of the word cavitation has me really confused about what’s actually happening there. Cavitation would lead to a problem in the driveline or pump assembly, while a bogging down or hesitating motor would lead you towards a fuel problem. We need to figure out which it is before you start throwing parts at it.

I’m not sure exactly where to point you then. Cavitation shouldn’t cause the motor to cut off. I think I’d start by pulling the pump and driveshaft and checking both of those over very well. Maybe you’ve got play somewhere that’s causing cavitation until it starts binding up... Or it’s possible that you’ve got two problems going on at once.

I would agree, never heard of cavitation shutting the engine down and not sure how they might be related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back