01 GTX di won’t start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I’m new here trying to find out what’s the best way to find out if my injectors are bad. I just replaced my fuel pump with a quantum pump(Seadoo forum approved) and replaced my fuel regulator.

Have you given it a few shots of fuel pre-mix into the throttle bodies or plug holes? You can pull the injectors or just look inside the cylinders I think and crank over while watching for fuel spray but be careful fuel is flammable to sparks and arcs.

You've already confirmed the ignition system is firing the plugs, I'm sure.

I know there are a few DI experts here that state they have tried all the aftermarket fuel pumps and only the OEM ones work.

Yes, I poured mi
Have you given it a few shots of fuel pre-mix into the throttle bodies or plug holes? You can pull the injectors or just look inside the cylinders I think and crank over while watching for fuel spray but be careful fuel is flammable to sparks and arcs.

You've already confirmed the ignition system is firing the plugs, I'm sure.[/QUO

Yes, I put mixed fuel in the cylinders and it fires right up. I’m in the process of cleaning the rave valves now to be sure. I still need to check the fuel pressure to be sure.

Well, if it fires off with fuel this tells you the injection system isn't working. So yeah, need to check fuel pressure, bla, bla. Could be the fuel filters or clogged injectors, or wiring problem.

I have a set of noid lights which are fairly cheap and easy to test if the injectors are being pulsed, a light bulb can be used as well but might be more difficult to see..

Have a look at this video about cleaning injectors if you have time:

Last edited:
Well, if it fires off with fuel this tells you the injection system isn't working. So yeah, need to check fuel pressure, bla, bla. Could be the fuel filters or clogged injectors, or wiring problem.

I have a set of noid lights which are fairly cheap and easy to test if the injectors are being pulsed, a light bulb can be used as well but might be more difficult to see..

Have a look at this video about cleaning injectors if you have time:

It’s a good test for function but I’d be a little suspicious of the mechanic that uses a screwdriver to pop my injectors onto the ground, LOL.

If you suspect the injectors send them to a reputable shop for cleaning and flow testing.

Ok, I’ll give it a shot. I’ll let you know. Thx again

Well, given this is not a Yamaha and you do need to follow the correct factory service procedure for some things due to certain hidden gotcha's, (such as how to remove injectors) b/c in some instances special considerations, tools, etc. are necessary. So if you don't have the factory service manual for your ski, you'd best obtain one before digging too far.

Never heard of Sea-Doo forum approved quantum fuel pump, but I can tell you from experience that most likely you are not getting enough fuel pressure from an aftermarket fuel pump and it is most probably drawing too much amperage causing your maintenance light to come on.
It is firing off but not maintaining idle because of fuel pressure.
Fuel pressure is critical on a Direct Injection system.
You are looking for 107psi combined pressure from your gauge.

Fuel related issues on a DI machine will not cause the maintenance light to come on, but an electrical issue will. After market fuel pump drawing too much voltage will throw a code.
Do yourself a favor and get an OEM fuel pump and new filters.

Never heard of Sea-Doo forum approved quantum fuel pump, but I can tell you from experience that most likely you are not getting enough fuel pressure from an aftermarket fuel pump and it is most probably drawing too much amperage causing your maintenance light to come on.
It is firing off but not maintaining idle because of fuel pressure.
Fuel pressure is critical on a Direct Injection system.
You are looking for 107psi combined pressure from your gauge.

Fuel related issues on a DI machine will not cause the maintenance light to come on, but an electrical issue will. After market fuel pump drawing too much voltage will throw a code.
Do yourself a favor and get an OEM fuel pump and new filters.
Will do, thx

Will do, thx
I know two people with Di's. they had no issues with the aftermarket pumps. One SD pump was installed in October and failed in April. The guy had about 10 hours on it. SD refused to replace the $900 fuel pump. He used an aftermarket pump after that and had no issues. I would take the "risk" with an aftermarket. just my two cents.

I have nothing but aftermarket fuel pumps on my four 2001 GTX DI. I have had a couple of failures, but replaced them free with the Lifetime guarantee. I think all are now the HighFlow pumps. They all have lower amperage requirements, and work fine.

The current HighFlow model HFP-342DI (Quantum) is their latest version and has even less amperage power requirements than the original (years ago) version. This pump only draws about 6A compared to the original 9A. Of course that first generation 342DI (at 9A) was much better than the 12A to 16A power draw of other automotive Walbro etc. 342 pumps. The BRP Seadoo OEM pump was an amazing design that only drew 4 to 5A, however, it has metal internal parts that corrode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back