01 di fuel pump issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening forum, back to that age old issue with DI fuel Pumps, this weekend i have had it with installing new pumps, only for them to not work properly, tried a new company that "guarantees that these pumps are seadoo certified" as we all know changing pumps is a pain, even with as many times as i have done it, lol so i decided to buy parts and make a test station, im attaching some pictures of it, previously had bought extra fuel lines and my fuel pressure test kit is SNAP ON, cost a small fortune, anyways i took a DI fuel tank quick connect lines a fresh gel battery, an inline fuse with toggle switch to power up the pumps, Fresh Fuel Filter, shortend a fuel hose and installed a filler neck and good cap,fashioned wiring harness for ease of assembly, works pretty good i can change out a pump in the canister and have it in the test station in about 8 minutes lol, three new HIGH FLOW FUEL pumps "guaranteed to meet seadoo specs, not one would pressurize over 12 lbs, then i tried a new pump i bought from a jet ski specialty shop, called a venom, "guarantedd to meet seadoo specs" installed it, it wouldnt even push 1 lb of pressure, take a look at my setup, is there something im missing, maybe this is

an improper way to test the pressure of a pwc pump, so i decided to test an automotive fuel pump, hooked up a holley pump i had ordered for my mustang gt, 72 psi within 3 seconds, anyways, be glad to get some input, thanks again

20170624_193804.jpg

20170624_202058.jpg

20170624_203528.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
JMHO,
Forget the after market pumps and purchase a couple good used OEM fuel pumps. The OEM pumps have lasted for 10-15yrs.
With the setup you have remove the two internal filters and reassemble. Make a mixture of gas/toluene (50/50) and run it through the pump a couple times. You should get a bunch of varnished crap out of the pumps. Replace the internal filters with new ones. You can purchase at your local parts store. I forget the part numbers, but can look it up if needed.
Last but not least cut that damn fuel canister filter off and replace with a wix 33095 filter and two heavy duty stainless hose clamps. Reinstall and enjoy.
Maintenance tips:
Every other season pull the pump and replace the internal filters.
Every spring replace the external filter.
Pump should last a long time. No maintenance is why most pumps fail.

Check out Westside Power Sports. Nick can probably fix you up with a good used pump. He stands behind his parts and is a good guy to deal with.

Well forum im stubborn in my old age, but your never to old to learn a lesson, found a local guy that sells parts, he had a rx di with a good fuel pump, bought it, brought that puppy home, hooked it up to my new test station, flipped the switch, instanly the gauge jumped to 127 PSI, put it the DI, hit the switch, cranked about 8 revolutions, fired right up, purred like a kitten, SO to all you newbies and stubborn mechanics like me, listen to the senior posters on here, DONT WASTE YOUR TIME ON AFTERMARKET PUMPS, BITE THE BULLIT AND GET AN OEM, PUMP CHANGE THE FILTERS RUN XPS OIL OR AMSOIL FULL SYNTHETIC, KEEP QUALITY FUEL IN IT, thanks again to all you guys helping with your replies, and thank you moderators for this site,

All great info. It is a shame how many crap parts are in the market now that are "guaranteed quality ".

Hey guys, gotta give a thousand thumbs up to jhjesse, since i have the test cell now, i thought i would try and clean my original sea doo fuel pumps i removed to put in the new "certified seadoo pumps" i used the 50/50 toluene mix and set the pumps to just run and circulate the mix through the pumps, when i tested them they wouldnt hold more than 18-20 PSI, a let them run about 2 hours each, put them back in the test mode, woooow, the first pump hit 127 PSI SO FAST I COULDNT BELIEVE IT, but i was exstatic, put the other one in the canister and flipped the switch it hit 147, and held it there, i was out in the yard doing cartwheels, jh jesse your the man, i cant thank you enough im still going to buy another fuel pump assy to have two spares, dont ever want to go through this again, woohooo, and these pumps will be preventive maintained every year, thanks again everybody

Good to hear you saved your old pumps, now you have spares. You can even rotate them every year when you do the maintenance.

Is there something to substitute for the toluene or a suggestion where to get it? I am having a hard time finding it locally. Would xylene work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I am not a chemist but, if I understand this correctly a toluene substitute sold in Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware is toluol.
Naphtha is another substitute. I think mineral spirits will work but probably not as effective.
Don't know if I would try paint/lacquer thinner or not as it could be a little harsh, but might be worth a try if you have an extra pump laying around.

Anyone found a good substitute for toluene? Did a quick search and found that the California toluene substitute isn't as good but maybe for our application it is? Possibly just run it longer in the solvent.

Also how did you guys power your pumps while they were out of the ski and in the bucket of solvent?

Found Xylene on ebay with no issues shipping to California address from what Iv read it's really close to toluene. I think I'm going to try that.

What's the safest way to wire up the pump so it doesn't make sparks? I'm thinking at least a switch instead of just alligator clips to prevent sparking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back