‘01 Sportster LE Sudden Loss of Thrust

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize you had a 951 engine, You got lucky and the PTO with the splines just unbolts. No need to lock the crankshaft or mess with the engine. Just unbolt the part with the splines and you are good.
It’s hard to tell with all the grease but I’m trying to get an idea of what the splines look like in the PTO. Impeller tool held tight and was able to hold the wheel while I forced the small bolts loose. Would I be able to get away with keeping this PTO or would I be safer replacing it to prevent another shaft from stripping? Thank you guys

Attachments

• E74609B3-7CD7-4260-951A-AD8735100F6A.png
    E74609B3-7CD7-4260-951A-AD8735100F6A.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • A45389FE-232E-4B6D-809A-8355D0B4647A.png
    A45389FE-232E-4B6D-809A-8355D0B4647A.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Once you get it out I would clean it good with solvent and really inspect it thoroughly.

I would find it hard to believe the driveshaft would be that damaged and the PTO is fine.

Thanks everyone for helping. Splines are trashed new parts ordered. I’m the millionth person to ask these questions but I get confused working on boats glad I know how to do this now

My guess is that the pump was not secured evenly on the hull,,which could explain the uneven wear on the pump seal, , and consequently uneven wear on the spline,,,I would realign the motor, put in new pto,,,if the splines are worn,,,new drive shaft...obvious...and ,,new pump seal.,,,is the wear on the carbon ring even?..hard to tell from the pics,,,that would also indicate incorrect pump motor alignment.

My guess is that the pump was not secured evenly on the hull,,which could explain the uneven wear on the pump seal, , and consequently uneven wear on the spline,,,I would realign the motor, put in new pto,,,if the splines are worn,,,new drive shaft...obvious...and ,,new pump seal.,,,is the wear on the carbon ring even?..hard to tell from the pics,,,that would also indicate incorrect pump motor alignment.
No it sure isn’t even. It’s really just on one side of the carbon seal! When I pulled the pump after this happened there’s was literally a half inch or even of movement in the impeller shaft. You could grab the impeller and just slide it in and out. I had to bang the thing with a mallet until it blew apart and out came tons of little rusted pieces of disengaged bearings. So maybe all this movement caused it to sit uneven? My engine is rock solid against the hull when I pull on it. Maybe I’ll check the alignment. Thanks !

Can my engine be out of alignment if it has never been pulled out? And is there a simple way to check this when the new parts are put in. I have no problem getting alignment tools but I just don’t know if it is necessary for my case

like i said the pump I was riding on all last year was absolutely awful when I pulled it out. Lots of movement and tons of rust. The original shaft wasn’t even reusable it was so mangled. Jesus!

Yes engines can and are out of alignment that have never been removed. I would say more are out of alignment than ones that are correct.

My theory is that either the factory wasn’t very careful from the start or the hulls flex, settle and warp over 20 years time and the pump and engine get out of alignment.

I would definitely check it in your case.

Yes engines can and are out of alignment that have never been removed. I would say more are out of alignment than ones that are correct.

My theory is that either the factory wasn’t very careful from the start or the hulls flex, settle and warp over 20 years time and the pump and engine get out of alignment.

I would definitely check it in your case.
Previous owner of my boat could't get the engine align , turned out that the engine mounts was worn [emoji848]

Am I supposed have the little rubber bumper on both ends of the drive shaft? The end that came out the PTO didn’t have one on it. Thanks

Yes, one on each end.
Awesome thanks. Do you recommend I get the fiber glass fixed in that tunnel? You can see the damage in the original pictures I posted. I’m worried it was cause some sort of uneven pressure in the jet or something. I just want eliminate as many problems I can.

No the motor doesn't have to come out.

I get the engine to TDC on the rear cylinder with a straw down the sparkplug hole then go clockwise from that until the straw drops about 3/4" then feed rope down the sparkplug hole to lock the piston. When you turn the PTO counterclockwise it should jam the rope between the piston and cylinder head. Then use a chain wrench to unscrew the PTO.
To add to this.
Take the spark plugs out.
Turn the engine backwards with your finger on the pto plug hole untill you feel pressure. Then feed 3 ft of 1/2" rope in. This makes sure your not getting the rope in a port by accident.
Then you can take the alien bolts off the pto.

The pto on a 951 is not screwed on.
That part on the end is only held in by those alen bolts but they are tight.
Take them out and walk the pto snout end and it should come out.

Last edited:
Yeah upon further inspection the edge of every spline is worn down. I don’t even know where to begin on repairing the PTO. I agree with you it’s probably screwed up as well. I guess this shaft could be my problem then?View attachment 53951
This picture is telling me a few things.
Besides the wear, its the two steps of wear. Its as if your driveshaft moved forward. And started wearing on a different spot. I've seen motors replaced and this happened because the motor was too far forward. And the impeller splines striped because it was so far out.

Check the motor mounts.
Make sure you had the rubber driveshaft bumpers.

A quick check is to reinstall everything as you found it without the carbon seal and see if you can move the driveshaft in and out.

I'm willing to bet your engine needs to move back and that there was no bump stop between the driveshaft and pto.

This picture is telling me a few things.
Besides the wear, its the two steps of wear. Its as if your driveshaft moved forward. And started wearing on a different spot. I've seen motors replaced and this happened because the motor was too far forward. And the impeller splines striped because it was so far out.

Check the motor mounts.
Make sure you had the rubber driveshaft bumpers.

A quick check is to reinstall everything as you found it without the carbon seal and see if you can move the driveshaft in and out.

I'm willing to bet your engine needs to move back and that there was no bump stop between the driveshaft and pto.

He was missing the front driveshaft bumper.

well guys. new impellor, impellor housing, driveshaft, carbon seal and bellows. The boat ran perfect. for 2 minutes! 2 minutes after launching I was gliding across the lake and all the sudden i lost 90% of my steering. I basically can only hold it in a left turn. Cant hardly turn at all the wheel is loose and does nothing. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

start looking at the connections. Under the steering wheel hood (under the basket) you will find the connection to the cable. and at the back where the cable goes through the transom and connects to the nozzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back